The pricing of degree-day weather options
AbstractThis paper presents a model and framework for pricing degree-day weather derivatives when the weather variable is a non-traded asset. Using daily weather data from 1840S1996, it is shown that a degree-day weather index exhibits stable volatility and satisfies the random walk hypothesis. The options prices from the recommended model are compared to a typical insurance-type model. The results show that the insurance model overprices the option value at-the-money, and this may explain why the bid-ask spread in the weather derivatives market is sometimes very large.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Agricultural Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 65 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ags:nc2006:133091 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hotopp, Henning & MuÃŸhoff, Oliver, 2012. "Can rent adjustment clauses reduce the income risk of farms?," International Journal of Agricultural Management, Institute of Agricultural Management & International Farm Management Association, vol. 1(4), July.
- Rong Kong & Calum G. Turvey & Guangwen He & Jiujie Ma & Patrick Meagher, 2011. "Factors influencing Shaanxi and Gansu farmers' willingness to purchase weather insurance," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 423-440, November.
- Leif Erec Heimfarth & Oliver Musshoff, 2011. "Weather index-based insurances for farmers in the North China Plain: An analysis of risk reduction potential and basis risk," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(2), pages 218-239, July.
- Markus Stowasser, 2011. "Modelling rain risk: a multi-order Markov chain model approach," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(1), pages 45-60, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.