Management accounting in less developed countries: what is known and needs knowing
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of this paper is to evaluate management accounting research in developing countries and formulate suggestions for its progression. Design/methodology/approach – This is a desk based study of existing literature analysed through a framework of management control transformation in developing countries derived from the authors' research. Findings – Research is growing, especially on accounting in state-owned and privatised enterprises but more is needed on small and micro enterprises, agriculture, non-governmental organisations, and transnational institutions. Originality/value – This is the first review of this area and thus should help intending and existing scholars.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal.
Volume (Year): 22 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Chu & Kolleen Rask, 2002.
"The Transformation of China's Health Care System and Accounting Methods: Current Reforms and Developments,"
0208, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- David Chu & Kolleen Rask, 2000. "The Transformation of China’s Health Care System and Accounting Methods: Current Reforms and Developments," Working Papers 0003, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Brewer,Anthony, 1984. "A Guide to Marx's 'Capital'," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521276764.
- Preston, Alistair & Oakes, Leslie, 2001. "The Navajo documents: a study of the economic representation and construction of the Navajo," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 39-71, January.
- Philip Constable & Nooch Kuasirikun, 2007. "Accounting for the nation-state in mid nineteenth-century Thailand," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 574-619, June.
- Arnold, Patricia J., 2005. "Disciplining domestic regulation: the World Trade Organization and the market for professional services," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 299-330, May.
- Chan, K. Hung & Lew, Albert Y. & Tong, Marian Yew Jen Wu, 2001. "Accounting and management controls in the classical Chinese novel: A Dream of the Red Mansions," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 311-327, 09.
- Anderson, Shannon W. & Lanen, William N., 1999. "Economic transition, strategy and the evolution of management accounting practices: the case of India," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-6), pages 379-412, July.
- Rob Dixon & John Ritchie & Juliana Siwale, 2006. "Microfinance: accountability from the grassroots," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(3), pages 405-427, April.
- Ezzamel, Mahmoud & Willmott, Hugh & Worthington, Frank, 2008. "Manufacturing shareholder value: The role of accounting in organizational transformation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 107-140.
- Preston, Alistair M., 2006. "Enabling, enacting and maintaining action at a distance: An historical case study of the role of accounts in the reduction of the Navajo herds," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 559-578, August.
- Jason Zezhong Xiao & Pauline Weetman & Manli Sun, 2004. "Political Influence and Coexistence of a Uniform Accounting System and Accounting Standards: Recent Developments in China," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 40(2), pages 193-218.
- Skousen, Clifford R. & Yang, Ji-Liang, 1988. "Western management accounting and the economic reforms of China," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 201-206, March.
- Barrett, Michael & Cooper, David J. & Jamal, Karim, 2005. "Globalization and the coordinating of work in multinational audits," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Keith Dixon, 2004. "Experiences of an accounting educator in Kiribati," Accounting Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 311-327.
- Teoh, Hai-Yap & Thong, Gregory, 1984. "Another look at corporate social responsibility and reporting: An empirical study in a developing country," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 189-206, June.
- Ezzamel, Mahmoud & Xiao, Jason Zezhong & Pan, Aixiang, 2007. "Political ideology and accounting regulation in China," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 32(7-8), pages 669-700.
- Albu Nadia & Albu Catalin & Garbina Madalina, 2012. "IMPROVING CORPORATE GOVERNANCE IN EMERGING ECONOMIES -AN ANALYSIS OF THE IMPLICATIONS ON THE ACCOUNTANTSâ€(tm) ROLES AND COMPETENCIES," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 846-852, July.
- Cameron Graham, 2009. "Accounting and subalternity: enlarging a research space," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(3), pages 309-318, April.
- Vassili Joannides & Danture Wickramasinghe & Nicolas Berland, 2012. "Critiques On Gray-Hofstede'S Model: What Impact On Cross-Cultural Accounting Research?," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00690933, HAL.
- Vassili Joannides, 2011. "Apports De L'Ethnicite A La Culture En Sciences De Gestion," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00676555, HAL.
- Shahzad Uddin & Bernard Gumb & Stephen Kasumba, 2011. "Trying to operationalise typologies of the spectacle: A literature review and a case study," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(3), pages 288-314, April.
- Vassili Joannides & Nicolas Berland & D. T. Wickramasinghe, 2010. "Post-Hofstede diversity/cultural studies: what contributions to accounting knowledge?," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00676570, HAL.
- Collins C. Ngwakwe, 2009. "Justifying Environmental Cost Allocation in a Multiple Product Firm: A Case Study," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 7(4), pages 403-420.
- Brandau, Michael & Endenich, Christoph & Trapp, Rouven & Hoffjan, Andreas, 2013. "Institutional drivers of conformity – Evidence for management accounting from Brazil and Germany," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 466-479.
- Cardos Ildiko Reka & Pete Stefan, 2011. "Managerial And Cost Accounting Practices - A Romanian Overview," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 484-490, December.
- Joannides, Vassili & Wickramasinghe, Danture & Berland, Nicolas, 2012. "Critiques on gray-hofstede’s model: what impact on cross-cultural accounting research?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9497, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.