Optimal Price Regulation for Natural and Legal Monopolies
AbstractOptimal price regulation for natural and legal monopolies is an impossible task. The still difficult .task of good price regulation can be systematized by considering separately price level and price structure of the regulated firm. Various methods of price level and price structure regulation are evaluated and then considered for the regulation of electricity transmission, both in the context of an independent transmission company and of vertical integration between transmission and most of the generation capacity. The regulatory approach suggested uses price caps defined on two-part tariffs. This way, flexibility for short-term capacity utilization can be combined with incentives for investments in new transmission capacity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Economia Mexicana NUEVA EPOCA.
Volume (Year): VIII (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-June)
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armstrong, Mark & Doyle, Chris & Vickers, John, 1996.
"The Access Pricing Problem: A Synthesis,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 131-50, June.
- Armstrong, M. & Doyle, C. & Vickers, J., 1995. "The access pricing problem: a synthesis," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9532, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Paul J.J. Welfens, 2005. "Schattenregulierung in der Telekommunikationswirtschaft," EIIW Discussion paper disbei137, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2005.
"Electricity Transmission Pricing and Performance-Based Regulation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1474, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2006. "Electricity Transmission Pricing and Performance-based Regulation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 97-126.
- Ramirez, Jose Carlos & Rosellon, Juan, 2002. "Pricing natural gas distribution in Mexico," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 231-248, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Tiscareño).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.