Financial Liberalisation Choices for Cyprus on the Road to the European Union
AbstractThis paper examines the financial liberalization choices available to Cyprus on the road to EU membership. It argues that the central bank’s proposal of full and immediate liberalization of interest rates and capital inflows entails a number of hidden dangers for the stability of the island’s economy. It puts forward an alternative proposal of a more gradual liberalization process coupled with supplementary measures aimed at strengthening the institutional framework of the Cypriot financial system. This proposal significantly reduces any risks emanating from financial liberalization and ensures the harmonization of the Cypriot financial system in time for EU accession. It has been endorsed by the Co-operative Movement and, at the time of writing, is being considered by the Cypriot government.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus in its journal Ekonomia.
Volume (Year): 3 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (summer)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Managing Editor).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.