Econometric Errors in an _Applied Economics_ Article
AbstractThis comment points out some econometric errors contained in an Applied Economics article by Mavrommati and Papadopoulos (2005), to wit, the authors make an incorrect statement about the standard F-test; they claim erroneously that the Durbin-Watson test is irrelevant in panel data; they fail to test for serial correlation and random-walk errors; and they misuse the Durbin-Wu-Hausman test for the consistency of the fixed-effects estimator. Thus, their results are questionable. This comment aims to prevent novice researchers from repeating these errors, and to police standards at the journals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econ Journal Watch in its journal Econ Journal Watch.
Volume (Year): 7 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
F-test; Durbin-Watson; Durbin-Wu-Hausman; panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhargava, A & Franzini, L & Narendranathan, W, 1982. "Serial Correlation and the Fixed Effects Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 533-49, October.
- Entorf, Horst, 1997. "Random walks with drifts: Nonsense regression and spurious fixed-effect estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 287-296, October.
- Athanasia Mavrommati & Athanasios Papadopoulos, 2005. "Measuring advertising intensity and intangible capital in the Greek food industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(15), pages 1777-1787.
- B. D. McCullough, 2007. "Got Replicability? The _Journal of Money, Credit and Banking_ Archive," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 4(3), pages 326-337, September.
- repec:dar:vpaper:24662 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jason Briggeman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.