Growth Accelerations and Regime Changes: A Correction
AbstractHausmann, Pritchett, and Rodrik (2005) found that a political regime change increases the probability of an economic growth acceleration. When we tried to replicate their results we discovered that these authors were led astray by a datadescription error in the Polity IV manual. When we correct for the error and stick to the Polity IV definition of regime change, we find that regime changes do not affect the likelihood that a growth acceleration occurs. We also find some evidence that economic liberalization increases the probability of a growth acceleration (sustained or otherwise).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econ Journal Watch in its journal Econ Journal Watch.
Volume (Year): 5 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
economic growth; growth accelerations; regime changes;
Other versions of this item:
- Jong-A-Pin, Richard & De Haan, Jakob, 2007. "Growth Accelerations and Regime Changes: A Correction," Research Report 07007, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bluhm, Richard & Crombrugghe, Denis de & Szirmai, Adam, 2012. "Explaining the dynamics of stagnation: An empirical examination of the North, Wallis and Weingast approach," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 040, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Guo Xu, 2011. "Growth Accelerations Revisited," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 8(1), pages 39-56, January.
- Richard Jong-A-Pin & Jakob Haan, 2011. "Political regime change, economic liberalization and growth accelerations," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 146(1), pages 93-115, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jason Briggeman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.