Do the country risk indexes reflect the more important variables that trigger the external crises? An analysis over the 1994-2001
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to establish on what extent the most used country risk indexes, specifically, the Euromoney index and the ICRG, contain decisive variables in the triggering of external crises, as a basic aspect in evaluating its ability to assess appropriately the risk of particular country. To this end, a sample of external crises for the period between 1994 and 2001 has been analysed, obtaining a set of variables that seem to be decisive and common to all episodes, and therefore, they should be included in an adequate country risk index. Comparing these variables with those included in indexes mentioned above, it has been verified that not all of them have direct reflect in the development of both indexes and, consequently, they might show, a priori, significant limitations as ability to predict and assess the country risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad del País Vasco - Instituto de Economía Aplicada a la Empresa (IEAE) in its journal Cuadernos de Gestión.
Volume (Year): 8 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Instituto de Economía Aplicada a la Empresa Avda Lehendakari Aguirre 83 CP 48015 Bilbao (Vizcaya) Spain
Phone: + 34 94 601 3871
Fax: + 34 94 601 3710
Web page: http://www.ieae.ehu.es
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Instituto de Economía Aplicada a la Empresa, Revista Cuadernos de Gestión, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996.
"Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1997. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-Fulfilling Features," NBER Working Papers 5285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-fulfilling Features," CEPR Discussion Papers 1315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen W. Salant & Dale W. Henderson, 1976. "Market anticipations, government policy, and the price of gold," International Finance Discussion Papers 81, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1994. "The Logic of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 4640, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías Redondo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.