A Note on the Real Federal Deficit
AbstractTwo alternative ways of extracting a measure of the real federal deficit from a measure of the nominal federal debt are discussed. One equates the real federal deficit to the real value of the change in the nominal debt. Aspects of the issues of crowding out, the use of the deficit as an indicator of fiscal policy, and the feasibility of permanent deficits are taken up to show that both measures are important and neither is merely the wrong way to calculate the other.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Economic Association in its journal Eastern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 14 (1988)
Issue (Month): 3 (Jul-Sep)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael R. Darby, 1984.
"Some pleasant monetarist arithmetic,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr.
- Dwyer, Gerald P, Jr, 1982. "Inflation and Government Deficits," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(3), pages 315-29, July.
- Hamilton, James D & Flavin, Marjorie A, 1986.
"On the Limitations of Government Borrowing: A Framework for EmpiricalTesting,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 808-19, September.
- James D. Hamilton & Marjorie A. Flavin, 1985. "On the Limitations of Government Borrowing: A Framework for Empirical Testing," NBER Working Papers 1632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Milbourne, Ross D & Richards, Daniel J, 1986. "A New View of the Federal Debt and Budget Deficits: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1154-55, December.
- Thomas M. Supel & Richard M. Todd, 1984. "Should currency be priced like cars?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.