Strategic decision-making processes in internationalization: Does national culture of the focal firm matter?
AbstractWe seek to examine how national culture values affect strategic decision-making processes (SDMPs) of internationalized firms. We employ the cultural relativity theory to explain how firms from different countries make international decisions. We advance hypotheses regarding the associations between three SDMP dimensions and three national culture aspects, notably the relationships between hierarchical decentralization and power distance; lateral communication and individualism; and, formalization and uncertainty avoidance. We present evidence from a large-scale study conducted on 528 internationalized small and medium-sized firms based in the USA, UK, Greece and Cyprus. The findings support our hypotheses with the exception of that concerning lateral communication and individualism. The national culture of the focal firm matters as far as SDMPs in internationalization are concerned. Implications and further research directions are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul C. Nutt, 2008. "Investigating the Success of Decision Making Processes," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 425-455, 03.
- Madsen, Tage Koed & Servais, Per, 1997. "The internationalization of Born Globals: An evolutionary process?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 561-583, December.
- Hood, Jacqueline N. & Logsdon, Jeanne M., 2002. "Business ethics in the NAFTA countries: A cross-cultural comparison," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(11), pages 883-890, November.
- Daniel Sullivan, 1994. "Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 325-342, June.
- McDougall, Patricia Phillips & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 1996. "New venture internationalization, strategic change, and performance: A follow-up study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, January.
- Bstieler, Ludwig & Hemmert, Martin, 2008. "Developing trust in vertical product development partnerships: A comparison of South Korea and Austria," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Smith, Ken G. & Gannon, Martin J. & Grimm, Curtis & Mitchell, Terence R., 1988. "Decision making behavior in smaller entrepreneurial and larger professionally managed firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 223-232.
- Christopher W. Allinson, 1996. "The Cognitive Style Index: A Measure of Intuition-Analysis For Organizational Research," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 119-135, 01.
- L. J. Bourgeois, III & Kathleen M. Eisenhardt, 1988. "Strategic Decision Processes in High Velocity Environments: Four Cases in the Microcomputer Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(7), pages 816-835, July.
- Karen L Newman & Stanley D Nollen, 1996. "Culture and Congruence: The Fit Between Management Practices and national Culture," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 753-779, December.
- Jesper Strandskov & Kurt Pedersen, 2008. "The foreign expansion of a service company: The case of ISS A/S," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(1), pages 40-61.
- Voudouris, Irini & Lioukas, Spyros & Makridakis, Spyros & Spanos, Yiannis, 2000. "Greek hidden champions:: lessons from small, little-known firms in Greece," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 663-674, December.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Caloghirou, Yannis & Papagiannakis, Lefteris & Trivellas, Panagiotis, 1997. "The dualism of greek firms and management: Present state and future implications," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 381-402, August.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Geert Hofstede, 1983. "The Cultural Relativity of Organizational Practices and Theories," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 14(2), pages 75-89, June.
- Pol Herrmann & Deepak K Datta, 2002. "CEO Successor Characteristics and the Choice of Foreign Market Entry Mode: An Empirical Study," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(3), pages 551-569, September.
- Earley, P. Christopher, 1999. "Playing Follow the Leader: Status-Determining Traits in Relation to Collective Efficacy across Cultures," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 192-212, December.
- Laszlo Tihanyi & David A Griffith & Craig J Russell, 2005. "The effect of cultural distance on entry mode choice, international diversification, and MNE performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 270-283, May.
- Griffith, David A. & Zhang, Chun & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Attributions of noncooperative incidents and response strategies: The role of national character," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 356-367, December.
- Jerayr Haleblian & Nandini Rajagopalan, 2006. "A Cognitive Model of CEO Dismissal: Understanding the Influence of Board Perceptions, Attributions and Efficacy Beliefs," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(5), pages 1009-1026, 07.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Samiee, Saeed, 2002. "Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-67, January.
- Michael H Morris & Duane L Davis & Jeffrey W Allen, 1994. "Fostering Corporate Entrepreneurship: Cross-Cultural Comparisons of the Importance of Individualism Versus Collectivism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(1), pages 65-89, March.
- H Kevin Steensma & Louis Marino & K Mark Weaver, 2000. "Attitudes Toward Cooperative Strategies: A Cross-Cultural Analysis of Entrepreneurs," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 591-609, December.
- William Newburry & Nevena Yakova, 2006. "Standardization preferences: a function of national culture, work interdependence and local embeddedness," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(1), pages 44-60, January.
- Lee, Sang-Gun & Trimi, Silvana & Kim, Changsoo, 2013. "The impact of cultural differences on technology adoption," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 20-29.
- Dietmar Sternad, 2012. "Adaptive Strategies in Response to the Economic Crisis: A Cross-Cultural Study in Austria and Slovenia," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 10(3 (Fall)), pages 257-282.
- Musso, Fabio & Francioni, Barbara, 2012. "The Influence Of Decision-Maker Characteristics On The International Strategic Decision-Making Process: An SME Perspective," MPRA Paper 50063, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.