Managerial ties, knowledge acquisition, realized absorptive capacity and new product market performance of emerging multinational companies: A case of China
AbstractMany firms rely on external sources to acquire knowledge that is critical for enhancing new product market performance. Using a sample of 121 emerging multinational corporations (EMNCs) from China, we explore the effects of managerial ties with government officials and foreign MNC partners on knowledge acquisition and investigate how the acquired knowledge affects firms' new product market performance. Our results indicate that knowledge acquisition could only enhance new product market performance with the presence of realized absorptive capacity. Our study suggests that managers' decisions on knowledge acquisition from external sources may not increase firms' new product market performance. Instead, managerial prowess in integrating and transforming knowledge becomes paramount in enhancing new product market performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Noel Capon & John U. Farley & Donald R. Lehmann & James M. Hulbert, 1992. "Profiles of Product Innovators Among Large U.S. Manufacturers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(2), pages 157-169, February.
- Kyriakos Kyriakopoulos & Ko de Ruyter, 2004. "Knowledge Stocks and Information Flows in New Product Development," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(8), pages 1469-1498, December.
- Ruth V Aguilera, 2007. "Translating theoretical logics across borders: organizational characteristics, structural mechanisms and contextual factors in international alliances," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 38-46, January.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Teece, David J., 1986.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Teece, David J., 1993. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Jaeyong Song & Paul Almeida & Geraldine Wu, 2003. "Learning--by--Hiring: When Is Mobility More Likely to Facilitate Interfirm Knowledge Transfer?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 351-365, April.
- Luis Araujo & Anna Dubois & Lars-Erik Gadde, 2003. "The Multiple Boundaries of the Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1255-1277, 07.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Argote, Linda & Ingram, Paul, 2000. "Knowledge Transfer: A Basis for Competitive Advantage in Firms," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 150-169, May.
- Buckley, Peter J. & Wang, Chengqi & Clegg, Jeremy, 2007. "The impact of foreign ownership, local ownership and industry characteristics on spillover benefits from foreign direct investment in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 142-158, April.
- Dieleman, Marleen & Sachs, Wladimir M., 2008. "Economies of connectedness: Concept and application," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 270-285, September.
- Peter J Buckley & Jeremy Clegg & Chengqi Wang, 2002. "The Impact of Inward FDI on the Performance of Chinese Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(4), pages 637-655, December.
- Mike Peng & Jessie Zhou, 2005. "How Network Strategies and Institutional Transitions Evolve in Asia," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 321-336, December.
- Markman, Gideon D. & Gianiodis, Peter T. & Phan, Phillip H. & Balkin, David B., 2005. "Innovation speed: Transferring university technology to market," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1058-1075, September.
- Lanctot, Aldor & Swan, K. Scott, 2000. "Technology acquisition strategy in an internationally competitive environment," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 187-215.
- Gianmario Verona & Davide Ravasi, 2003. "Unbundling dynamic capabilities: an exploratory study of continuous product innovation," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 577-606, June.
- Michiel De Boer, 1999. "Managing Organizational Knowledge Integration in the Emerging Multimedia Complex," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 379-398, 05.
- Fan, Joseph P.H. & Wong, T.J. & Zhang, Tianyu, 2007. "Politically connected CEOs, corporate governance, and Post-IPO performance of China's newly partially privatized firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 330-357, May.
- Masaaki Kotabe & Srini S Srinivasan & Preet S Aulakh, 2002. "Multinationality and Firm Performance: The Moderating Role of R&D and Marketing Capabilities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 79-97, March.
- Billie Jo Zirger & Modesto A. Maidique, 1990. "A Model of New Product Development: An Empirical Test," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(7), pages 867-883, July.
- Deng, Ping, 2004. "Outward investment by Chinese MNCs: Motivations and implications," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 8-16.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 1999.
"The Quality of Government,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 222-79, April.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, . "The Quality of Government," Working Paper 19452, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Government," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Omar R. Malik & Masaaki Kotabe, 2009. "Dynamic Capabilities, Government Policies, and Performance in Firms from Emerging Economies: Evidence from India and Pakistan," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 421-450, 05.
- L. J. Bourgeois, III & Kathleen M. Eisenhardt, 1988. "Strategic Decision Processes in High Velocity Environments: Four Cases in the Microcomputer Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(7), pages 816-835, July.
- Jiatao Li & Rajiv Kozhikode, 2008. "Knowledge management and innovation strategy: The challenge for latecomers in emerging economies," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 429-450, September.
- Yao, Zheng & Yang, Zhi & Fisher, Gregory J. & Ma, Chaoqun & (Er) Fang, Eric, 2013. "Knowledge complementarity, knowledge absorption effectiveness, and new product performance: The exploration of international joint ventures in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 216-227.
- Denicolai, Stefano & Zucchella, Antonella & Strange, Roger, 2014. "Knowledge assets and firm international performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-62.
- Tsai-Ju Liao & Chwo-Ming Yu, 2013. "The impact of local linkages, international linkages, and absorptive capacity on innovation for foreign firms operating in an emerging economy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 38(6), pages 809-827, December.
- Malhotra, Shavin & Zhu, PengCheng, 2013. "Paying for cross-border acquisitions: The impact of prior acquirers’ decisions," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 271-281.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.