The impact of globalization on HRM: the case of South Korea
AbstractGlobalization can have far reaching implications for human resource management (HRM) and management practice in general. For some, globalization creates pressures for a common, often taken as 'best', transferable set of HRM practices that can spread around the world. These best practices are considered powerful enough to override existing systems. In contrast, others see national based HRM systems as more resilient, partly because of the systemic underpinnings of particular cultural and institutional milieu. Both views contain important implications and lessons. We outline these, a framework for viewing them and the case of HRM in South Korea to demonstrate the issues, contradictions and dilemmas and ways of thinking so that practitioners can make informed choices concerning HRM practices to develop competency enhancing HRM systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 36 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Wallerstein & Miriam Golden & Peter Lange, 1997. "Unions, employer associations, and wage-setting institutions in northern and central Europe, 1950û1992," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(3), pages 379-401, April.
- Kandel, Eugene & Lazear, Edward P, 1992.
"Peer Pressure and Partnerships,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 801-17, August.
- Phillip M Rosenzweig & Nitin Nohria, 1994. "Influences on Human Resource Management Practices in Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 229-251, June.
- Christopher L. Erickson & Sarosh Kuruvilla, 1998. "Industrial relations system transformation," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(1), pages 3-21, October.
- repec:hoo:wpaper:e-89-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chang, Eunmi, 2003. "Composite effects of extrinsic motivation on work effort: case of Korean employees," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 70-79, February.
- Hicheon Kim & Johngseok Bae & Garry Bruton, 2012. "Business groups and institutional upheaval in emerging economies: Corporate venturing in Korea," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 729-752, September.
- Froese, Fabian Jintae & Pak, Yong Suhk & Chong, Li Choy, 2008. "Managing the human side of cross-border acquisitions in South Korea," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 97-108, January.
- Thang, Le Chien & Rowley, Chris & Quang, Truong & Warner, Malcolm, 2007. "To what extent can management practices be transferred between countries?: The case of human resource management in Vietnam," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 113-127, March.
- Lau, Chung-Ming & Ngo, Hang-Yue, 2004. "The HR system, organizational culture, and product innovation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 685-703, December.
- Zhang, Marina Y. & Dodgson, Mark, 2007. ""A roasted duck can still fly away": A case study of technology, nationality, culture and the rapid and early internationalization of the firm," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 336-349, September.
- Bae, Johngseok & Rowley, Chris, 2004. "Macro and micro approaches in human resource development: context and content in South Korea," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 349-361, November.
- Lertxundi Lertxundi, Aitziber, . "Ikuspegi kulturala giza baliabideen zuzendaritzan. Literaturaren berrikuspena eta etorkizunerako erronkak," Revista de Dirección y Administración de Empresas, Universidad del País Vasco - Escuela Universitaria de Estudios Empresariales de San Sebastián.
- Hazril Izwar IBRAHIM & Khairul Anuar Mohammad SHAH, 2013. "Effects of Organizational Characteristics Factors on the Implementation of Strategic Human Resource Practices: Evidence from Malaysian Manufacturing Firms," Economia. Seria Management, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 16(1), pages 5-24, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.