Mergers and acquisitions across European borders: National perspectives on preacquisition due diligence and the use of professional advisers
AbstractRecent years have seen a huge growth in European cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and considerable attention has been given to how such deals arise and are completed. However, most theoretical emphasis has been placed upon noncultural factors although it is increasingly recognized in other spheres of management theory that management styles and business performance cannot be separated out from national or regional cultural influence. As a consequence, this exploratory study focuses upon the influence of national differences in business culture upon preacquisition management. In this paper we report the findings of a large-scale exploratory survey into whether such cultural differences are reflected in different perceptions of the value of due diligence and the use of professional advisors in the preacquisition phase. The findings suggest that national cultural differences do play an important role in affecting acquirer's perceptions of target companies and we suggest that this may have important consequences for the negotiation of deals and the subsequent management of the postacquisition phase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 36 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Srilata Zaheer & Akbar Zaheer, 1997. "Country Effects on Information Seeking in Global Electronic Networks," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 77-100, March.
- David K Tse & June Francis & Jan Walls, 1994. "Cultural Differences in Conducting Intra- and Inter-Cultural Negotiations: A Sino-Canadian Comparison," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(3), pages 537-555, September.
- M Krishna Erramilli, 1996. "Nationality and Subsidiary Ownership Patterns in Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(2), pages 225-248, June.
- Angwin, Duncan & Savill, Brett, 1997. "Strategic perspectives on European cross-border acquisitions: A view from top European executives," European Management Journal, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 423-435, August.
- Barmeyer, Christoph & Mayrhofer, Ulrike, 2008. "The contribution of intercultural management to the success of international mergers and acquisitions: An analysis of the EADS group," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 28-38, February.
- DE CLEYN, Sven & BRAET, Johan, . "The due diligence process – Guiding principles for early stage innovative products," Working Papers 2006016, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Lina M. CortÃ©s & Diego A. Agudelo & Samuel Mongrut, 2012. "Waves and determinants in the activity of Mergers and Acquisitions: The Case of Latin America," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT 010658, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Shimizu, Katsuhiko & Hitt, Michael A. & Vaidyanath, Deepa & Pisano, Vincenzo, 2004. "Theoretical foundations of cross-border mergers and acquisitions: A review of current research and recommendations for the future," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 307-353.
- Ahammad, Mohammad Faisal & Glaister, Keith W., 2013. "The pre-acquisition evaluation of target firms and cross border acquisition performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 894-904.
- Gomes, Emanuel & Cohen, Marcel & Mellahi, Kamel, 2011. "When two African cultures collide: A study of interactions between managers in a strategic alliance between two African organizations," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 5-12, January.
- Larsen, Michael Holm, 2006. "Value Creation through ICT Integration in Merger & Acquisition Processes," Working Papers, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Informatics 2005-8, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Informatics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.