The Impact of the Strategic Sale of Restructured Banks: Evidence from Indonesia
AbstractWe examine the effect of strategic sale, which is the sale of banks to strategic foreign investors, on bank performance. The Government of Indonesia implemented such a policy as part of a bank restructuring in the aftermath of the 1998 banking crisis. Using difference-in-differences models, we find that strategic sale leads to a 12–15% cost reduction. These results are robust to the use of other estimators such as difference-in-differences matching estimators and stochastic-frontier analysis, to that of other performance measures such as return on assets and net interest margin, and to that of different sample types. These results suggest that strategic sale could play an important role in restructuring troubled banks in developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
banking regulation; banking crisis; difference-in-difference models; Asia; Indonesia;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Otchere, Isaac, 2009. "Competitive and value effects of bank privatization in developed countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2373-2385, December.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2009.
"IMF Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes: Evidence from East Asia,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 167-187, April.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2009. "IMF Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes: Evidence from East Asia," CARF F-Series CARF-F-148, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2008. "Imf Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes:Evidence From East Asia," CARF F-Series CARF-F-128, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & YaÃƒÂƒÃ‚Â±ez, Monica, 2006.
"Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?,"
POLIS Working Papers
62, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & Yanez, Monica, 2007. "Bank ownership and performance. Does politics matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 219-241, January.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza & Monica Yañez, 2005. "Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 356, Central Bank of Chile.
- Paul Wachtel & John Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan, 2004.
"Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries,"
04-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2155-2178, August.
- John P. Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan & Paul Wachtel, 2004. "Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-679, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Honohan, Patrick & Klingebiel, Daniela, 2003. "The fiscal cost implications of an accommodating approach to banking crises," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1539-1560, August.
- Michael Bordo & Barry Eichengreen & Daniela Klingebiel & Maria Soledad Martinez-Peria, 2001. "Is the crisis problem growing more severe?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 51-82, 04.
- Cludia M. Buch, 1997. "Opening up for foreign banks: How Central and Eastern Europe can benefit," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 5(2), pages 339-366, November.
- Omran, Mohammed, 2007. "Privatization, State Ownership, and Bank Performance in Egypt," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 714-733, April.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Shirley, Mary M., 2005. "Bank privatization in developing countries: A summary of lessons and findings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 1905-1930, August.
- Sato, Yuri, 2005. "Bank restructuring and financial institution reform in Indonesia," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO), vol. 43(1), pages 91-120, March.
- Megginson, William L., 2005. "The economics of bank privatization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 1931-1980, August.
- Williams, Jonathan & Nguyen, Nghia, 2005. "Financial liberalisation, crisis, and restructuring: A comparative study of bank performance and bank governance in South East Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2119-2154, August.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Fuchs, Michael, 2009.
"Bank Privatization in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Uganda Commercial Bank,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1506-1521, September.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Fuchs, Michael, 2007. "Bank privatization in Sub-Saharan Africa : the case of Uganda commercial bank," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4407, The World Bank.
- Haber, Stephen, 2005. "Mexico's experiments with bank privatization and liberalization, 1991-2003," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2325-2353, August.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra E, 1997. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(4), pages 605-54, October.
- Cornett, Marcia Millon & Guo, Lin & Khaksari, Shahriar & Tehranian, Hassan, 2010. "The impact of state ownership on performance differences in privately-owned versus state-owned banks: An international comparison," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 74-94, January.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.