The Impact of the Strategic Sale of Restructured Banks: Evidence from Indonesia
AbstractWe examine the effect of strategic sale, which is the sale of banks to strategic foreign investors, on bank performance. The Government of Indonesia implemented such a policy as part of a bank restructuring in the aftermath of the 1998 banking crisis. Using difference-in-differences models, we find that strategic sale leads to a 12–15% cost reduction. These results are robust to the use of other estimators such as difference-in-differences matching estimators and stochastic-frontier analysis, to that of other performance measures such as return on assets and net interest margin, and to that of different sample types. These results suggest that strategic sale could play an important role in restructuring troubled banks in developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
banking regulation; banking crisis; difference-in-difference models; Asia; Indonesia;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haber, Stephen, 2005. "Mexico's experiments with bank privatization and liberalization, 1991-2003," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2325-2353, August.
- Otchere, Isaac, 2009. "Competitive and value effects of bank privatization in developed countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2373-2385, December.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2009.
"IMF Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes: Evidence from East Asia,"
CARF-F-148, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2009. "IMF Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes: Evidence from East Asia," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 167-187, April.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2008. "Imf Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes:Evidence From East Asia," CARF F-Series CARF-F-128, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005.
"Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2155-2178, August.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Paul Wachtel & John Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan, 2004. "Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries," Working Papers 04-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- John P. Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan & Paul Wachtel, 2004. "Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-679, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Michael Bordo & Barry Eichengreen & Daniela Klingebiel & Maria Soledad Martinez-Peria, 2001. "Is the crisis problem growing more severe?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 51-82, 04.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Fuchs, Michael, 2009.
"Bank Privatization in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Uganda Commercial Bank,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1506-1521, September.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Fuchs, Michael, 2007. "Bank privatization in Sub-Saharan Africa : the case of Uganda commercial bank," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4407, The World Bank.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & YaÃƒÂƒÃ‚Â±ez, Monica, 2006.
"Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?,"
POLIS Working Papers
62, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & Yanez, Monica, 2007. "Bank ownership and performance. Does politics matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 219-241, January.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza & Monica Yañez, 2005. "Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 356, Central Bank of Chile.
- Omran, Mohammed, 2007. "Privatization, State Ownership, and Bank Performance in Egypt," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 714-733, April.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Williams, Jonathan & Nguyen, Nghia, 2005. "Financial liberalisation, crisis, and restructuring: A comparative study of bank performance and bank governance in South East Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2119-2154, August.
- Megginson, William L., 2005. "The economics of bank privatization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 1931-1980, August.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra E, 1997. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(4), pages 605-54, October.
- Cludia M. Buch, 1997. "Opening up for foreign banks: How Central and Eastern Europe can benefit," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 5(2), pages 339-366, November.
- Cornett, Marcia Millon & Guo, Lin & Khaksari, Shahriar & Tehranian, Hassan, 2010. "The impact of state ownership on performance differences in privately-owned versus state-owned banks: An international comparison," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 74-94, January.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Shirley, Mary M., 2005. "Bank privatization in developing countries: A summary of lessons and findings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 1905-1930, August.
- Honohan, Patrick & Klingebiel, Daniela, 2003. "The fiscal cost implications of an accommodating approach to banking crises," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1539-1560, August.
- Sato, Yuri, 2005. "Bank restructuring and financial institution reform in Indonesia," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO), vol. 43(1), pages 91-120, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.