Governance, Private Investment and Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries
AbstractThis paper uses annual aggregate data for 46 developing countries covering the period 1996–2009 to investigate if FDI crowds out domestic private investment and if alternative elements of governance have differing effects on the relationship between FDI and private investment. Results suggest that total investment (FDI and private) is greater in countries with good governance, there is evidence of crowding out (FDI displaces domestic private investment), and the extent of crowding out is related to governance. Corruption and political instability are the governance indicators that appear to have the greatest impact on investment. Political stability is found to be the most important aspect of governance in terms of the relationship between FDI and domestic private investment: an increase in FDI has the greatest effect on reducing private investment (but increasing total investment) in politically stable regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
FDI; private investment; sources of investment; governance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Hausmann & Eduardo Fernández-Arias, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment: Good Cholesterol?," Research Department Publications 4203, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jongwanich, Juthathip & Kohpaiboon, Archanun, 2008. "Private Investment: Trends and Determinants in Thailand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1709-1724, October.
- David Deok-Ki Kim & Jung-Soo Seo, 2003. "Does FDI inflow crowd out domestic investment in Korea?," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(6), pages 605-622, October.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2004.
"To What Extent Can Foreign Direct Investment Help Achieve International Development Goals?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 657-677, 05.
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2002. "To What Extent Can Foreign Direct Investment Help Achieve International Development Goals?," Kiel Working Papers 1128, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- World Bank, 2010. "World Development Indicators 2010," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4373, March.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
NBER Working Papers
11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Nigel Driffield & Dylan Hughes, 2003. "Foreign and Domestic Investment: Regional Development or Crowding Out?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 277-288.
- Rebecca Neumann, 2003. "International capital flows under asymmetric information and costly monitoring: implications of debt and equity financing," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 674-700, August.
- Li, Quan & Resnick, Adam, 2003. "Reversal of Fortunes: Democratic Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to Developing Countries," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(01), pages 175-211, December.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Jeremy Piger, 2011. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 16704, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth & Lien, Donald, 2011. "Democracy, foreign direct investment and natural resources," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 99-111, May.
- Hefeker, Carsten & Busse, Matthias, 2005.
"Political Risk, Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
315, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten, 2007. "Political risk, institutions and foreign direct investment," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 397-415, June.
- Gastanaga, Victor M. & Nugent, Jeffrey B. & Pashamova, Bistra, 1998. "Host Country Reforms and FDI Inflows: How Much Difference do they Make?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1299-1314, July.
- Dawson, John W, 1998. "Institutions, Investment, and Growth: New Cross-Country and Panel Data Evidence," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(4), pages 603-19, October.
- Lipsey, Robert E. & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2010. "FDI and Growth in East Asia: Lessons for Indonesia," Working Paper Series 852, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Hadi Salehi Esfahani, 2001. "Ownership Structure In Foreign Direct Investment Projects," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 647-662, November.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Oshikoya, Temitope W, 1994. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Domestic Private Investment in Africa: An Empirical Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(3), pages 573-96, April.
- Gyimah-Brempong, Kwabena & Traynor, Thomas L, 1999. "Political Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(1), pages 52-86, March.
- Dalmazzo, Alberto & Marini, Giancarlo, 2000. "Foreign Debt, Sanctions and Investment: A Model with Politically Unstable Less Developed Countries," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 141-53, April.
- Edgardo Campos, J. & Lien, Donald & Pradhan, Sanjay, 1999. "The Impact of Corruption on Investment: Predictability Matters," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1059-1067, June.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2010. "The worldwide governance indicators : methodology and analytical issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5430, The World Bank.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712, August.
- Selen Guerin & Stefano Manzocchi, 2009. "Political regime and FDI from advanced to emerging countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 75-91, April.
- Daniel Lederman & Taye Mengistae & Lixin Colin Xu, 2013.
"Microeconomic consequences and macroeconomic causes of foreign direct investment in southern African economies,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(25), pages 3637-3649, September.
- Lederman, Daniel & Mengistae, Taye & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2010. "Microeconomic consequences and macroeconomic causes of foreign direct investment in southern African economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5416, The World Bank.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2002.
"FDI to Africa: The role of price stability and currency instability,"
13872, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen Reinhart & Kenneth Rogoff, 2003. "FDI to Africa: The Role of Price Stability and Currency Instability," IMF Working Papers 03/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Manuel Agosin & Roberto Machado, 2005.
"Foreign Investment in Developing Countries: Does it Crowd in Domestic Investment?,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 149-162.
- Manuel R. AGOSIN & Ricardo MAYER, 2000. "Foreign Investment In Developing Countries, Does It Crowd In Domestic Investment?," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 146, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- JUDE, Cristina & LEVIEUGE, Gregory, 2013. "Growth effect of FDI in developing economies: The role of institutional quality," MPRA Paper 49321, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Szirmai, Adam, 2013. "Institutions and economic growth: Summary and synthesis," MERIT Working Papers 070, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Kamel ABDELLAH ( GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113 & ISG, UNIVERSITE DE TUNIS) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2012. "FDI and macroeconomic volatility: A close-up on the source countries," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-21, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.