China as a Final Market: The Gabon Timber and Thai Cassava Value Chains
AbstractSummary Rapid economic growth in China has boosted its demand for commodities. In many commodities sectors, this has been associated with declining demand from high-income northern economies. This paper examines two hypotheses of the resulting outcomes for the organization of global value chains in general, and for the role played by low income producers in particular--the importance of standards in global value chains, and the space available for low income producers to upgrade into higher value niches in their chains. The detailed case-studies of the Thai cassava industry and the Gabon timber sector both confirm these hypotheses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
value chains China Thailand Gabon cassava timber;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jenkins, Rhys & Peters, Enrique Dussel & Moreira, Mauricio Mesquita, 2008. "The Impact of China on Latin America and the Caribbean," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 235-253, February.
- Douglass C. North, 1955. "Location Theory and Regional Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 243.
- von Braun, Joachim, 2007. "The world food situation: New driving forces and required actions," Food policy reports 18, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Oscar E. Melhado, 2007. "Optimal Taxation in the Forestry Sector in the Congo Basin," IMF Working Papers 07/253, International Monetary Fund.
- Radetzki, Marian, 2006. "The anatomy of three commodity booms," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 56-64, March.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), .
"China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004. "China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2007," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 63 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou, 7.
- Gale, H. Frederick, Jr. & Huang, Kuo S., 2007. "Demand For Food Quantity And Quality In China," Economic Research Report 7252, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Terheggen, Anne & Tijaja, Julia, 2010. "What happens when the market shifts to China ? the Gabon timber and Thai cassava value chains," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5206, The World Bank.
- Ludvig Söderling, 2006. "After the Oil: Challenges Ahead in Gabon," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(1), pages 117-148, March.
- Raphael Power, 2008. "What Does the Rise of China Do for Industrialisation in Sub-Saharan Africa?," Review of African Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(115), pages 7-22, March.
- Andrea Goldstein & Nicolas Pinaud & Helmut Reisen, 2006. "The Rise of China and India: What's in it for Africa?," OECD Development Centre Policy Insights 19, OECD Publishing.
- Barry EICHENGREEN & Hui TONG, 2006. "How China is Reorganizing the World Economy," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(1), pages 73-97.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2008," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 64 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou, 7.
- Terheggen, Anne, 2011. "The tropical timber industry in Gabon: a forward linkages approach to industrialisation," MPRA Paper 37976, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Valentina De Marchi & Joonkoo Lee & Gary Gereffi, 2012. "Globalization, Recession and the Internationalization of Industrial Districts: Experiences from the Italian Gold Jewellery Industry," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0150, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.