Microfinance: Its Impact, Outreach, and Sustainability
AbstractSummary This symposium brings together recent empirical contributions with respect to a number of related and highly relevant issues on the economics of microfinance. In particular, the contributions provide answers to the following two main questions: (1) does microfinance have an impact on the social and economic situation of the poor in developing nations; and (2) are microfinance institutions sustainable in the long term and is there a trade-off between sustainability and outreach?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
microfinance impact outreach sustainability;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Copestake & P. Dawson & J.-P. Fanning & A. McKay & K. Wright-Revolledo, 2005. "Monitoring the Diversity of the Poverty Outreach and Impact of Microfinance: A Comparison of Methods Using Data from Peru," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(6), pages 703-723, November.
- Jonathan Zinman & Dean Karlan, 2009.
"Expanding Microenterprise Credit Access: Using Randomized Supply Decisions to Estimate the Impacts in Manila,"
976, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Karlan, Dean S. & Zinman, Jonathan, 2009. "Expanding Microenterprise Credit Access: Using Randomized Supply Decisions to Estimate the Impacts in Manila," CEPR Discussion Papers 7396, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark M. Pitt & Shahidur R. Khandker, 1998. "The Impact of Group-Based Credit Programs on Poor Households in Bangladesh: Does the Gender of Participants Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 958-996, October.
- Valentina Hartarska & Denis Nadolnyak, 2007. "Do regulated microfinance institutions achieve better sustainability and outreach? Cross-country evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(10), pages 1207-1222.
- Khandker, Shahidur R., 2003.
"Microfinance and poverty - evidence using panel data from Bangladesh,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2945, The World Bank.
- Shahidur R. Khandker, 2005. "Microfinance and Poverty: Evidence Using Panel Data from Bangladesh," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 263-286.
- Wydick, Bruce & Karp Hayes, Harmony & Hilliker Kempf, Sarah, 2011. "Social Networks, Neighborhood Effects, and Credit Access: Evidence from Rural Guatemala," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 974-982, June.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2008. "The New Development Economics: We Shall Experiment, but How Shall We Learn?," Working Paper Series rwp08-055, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2008.
"The Experimental Approach to Development Economics,"
NBER Working Papers
14467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2009. "The Experimental Approach to Development Economics," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 151-178, 05.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Duflo, Esther, 2008. "The Experimental Approach to Development Economics," CEPR Discussion Papers 7037, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink, .
"The empirics of microfinance: what do we know?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/14198, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David Roodman & Jonathan Morduch, 2014.
"The Impact of Microcredit on the Poor in Bangladesh: Revisiting the Evidence,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(4), pages 583-604, April.
- Roodman, David & Morduch, Jonathan, 2013. "The Impact of Microcredit on the Poor in Bangladesh: Revisiting the Evidence," CEI Working Paper Series 2013-02, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- David Roodman & Jonathan Morduch, 2009. "The Impact of Microcredit on the Poor in Bangladesh: Revisiting the Evidence," Working Papers 174, Center for Global Development.
- McIntosh, Craig & Villaran, Gonzalo & Wydick, Bruce, 2011. "Microfinance and Home Improvement: Using Retrospective Panel Data to Measure Program Effects on Fundamental Events," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 922-937, June.
- Dalla Pellegrina, Lucia, 2011. "Microfinance and Investment: A Comparison with Bank and Informal Lending," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 882-897, June.
- Coleman, Brett E., 1999. "The impact of group lending in Northeast Thailand," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 105-141, October.
- Goetz, Anne Marie & Gupta, Rina Sen, 1996. "Who takes the credit? Gender, power, and control over loan use in rural credit programs in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert & Meesters, Aljar, 2011.
"Outreach and Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 938-948, June.
- Meesters, Aljar & Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels, 2008. "Outreach and Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions," Research Report 08002, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Matthieu Chemin, 2008. "The Benefits and Costs of Microfinance: Evidence from Bangladesh," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 463-484.
- Hoque, Serajul, 2008. "Does Micro-credit Program in Bangladesh Increase Household’s Ability to Deal with Economic Hardships?," MPRA Paper 6678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coleman, Brett E., 2006. "Microfinance in Northeast Thailand: Who benefits and how much?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1612-1638, September.
- P. Mosley, 2001. "Microfinance and Poverty in Bolivia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 101-132.
- Shahidur R. Khandker, 2007. "Coping with flood: role of institutions in Bangladesh," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 169-180, 03.
- Verrest, Hebe, 2013. "Rethinking Microentrepreneurship and Business Development Programs: Vulnerability and Ambition in Low-income Urban Caribbean Households," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 58-70.
- Barry, Thierno Amadou & Tacneng, Ruth, 2014. "The Impact of Governance and Institutional Quality on MFI Outreach and Financial Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 1-20.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Somanathan, Rohini & Wahhaj, Zaki, 2013.
"Repayment incentives and the distribution of gains from group lending,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 131-139.
- Jean-Marie Baland & Rohini Somanathan & Zaki Wahhaj, 2010. "Repayment Incentives And The Distribution Of Gains From Group Lending," Working papers 192, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Somanathan, Rohini & Wahhaj, Zaki, 2011. "Repayment incentives and the distribution of gains from group lending," CEPR Discussion Papers 8197, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlos Serrano-Cinca & Begoña Gutiérrez-Nieto, 2012.
"Microfinance, the long tail and mission drift,"
Working Papers CEB
12-001, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jing You & Samuel Annim, 2013. "The impact of microcredit on child education: quasi-experimental evidence from rural China," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 18313, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Louis, Philippe & Seret, Alex & Baesens, Bart, 2013. "Financial Efficiency and Social Impact of Microfinance Institutions Using Self-Organizing Maps," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 197-210.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.