Capital Flows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Mexico
AbstractFollowing the recently-developed bounds testing approach, the paper analyzes the long-run determinants of the Mexican peso’s real exchange rate from 1988Q1 to 2008Q2. Controlling for the standard determinants, the paper shows that all types of capital inflows tended to appreciate the peso. In contrast to recent multi-country studies, it finds no evidence of a less harmful effect from foreign direct investment (FDI)—on the contrary, the FDI’s appreciation effect can be particularly strong—and interprets this finding. The paper also shows that monetary policy, through changes in the short-term interest differential, can have persistent, level effects on the real exchange rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
capital flows; FDI; real exchange rate; ARDL bounds testing approach; Latin America; Mexico;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Selim Elekdag & M. Ayhan Kose & Roberto Cardarelli, 2009.
"Capital Inflows: Macroeconomic Implications and Policy Responses,"
IMF Working Papers
09/40, International Monetary Fund.
- Cardarelli, Roberto & Elekdag, Selim & Kose, M. Ayhan, 2010. "Capital inflows: Macroeconomic implications and policy responses," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 333-356, December.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2007.
"Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 45(4), pages 887-935, December.
- Henry, Peter B., 2006. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," Research Papers 1951, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Henry, Peter B., 2007. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," Research Papers 1974, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2006. "Capital account liberalization: theory, evidence, and speculation," Working Paper Series 2007-32, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2006. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," NBER Working Papers 12698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman & Daniel Riera-Crichton, 2008.
"Real Exchange Rate and International Reserves in an Era of Growing Financial and Trade Integration,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 812-815, November.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Riera-Crichton, Daniel, 2007. "Real exchange rate and international reserves in an era of growing financial and trade integration," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6dr794sb, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Luis Miguel Galindo & Jaime Ros, 2008. "Alternatives to inflation targeting in Mexico," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 201-214.
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals - A Methodological Comparison of BEERs and FEERs," IMF Working Papers 98/67, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Carlos Ibarra, 2011. "Monetary Policy and Real Currency Appreciation: A BEER Model for the Mexican Peso," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(1), pages 91-110.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1994.
"The capital inflows problem: Concepts and issues,"
13902, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Blecker, Robert A., 2009. "External Shocks, Structural Change, and Economic Growth in Mexico, 1979-2007," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1274-1284, July.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Rogoff, Kenneth & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2010.
"Financial Globalization and Economic Policies,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Rogoff, Kenneth & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2009. "Financial Globalization and Economic Policies," IZA Discussion Papers 4037, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kose, Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Rogoff, Kenneth & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2009. "Financial Globalization and Economic Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 7117, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bassem Kamar & Damyana Bakardzhieva & Samy Ben Naceur & Sami Ben Naceur, 2010. "The Impact of Capital and Foreign Exchange Flows on the Competitiveness of Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 10/154, International Monetary Fund.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Sarath Rajapatirana, 2003.
"Capital Inflows and the Real Exchange Rate: A Comparative Study of Asia and Latin America,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 613-637, 04.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Sarath Rajapatirana, 2003. "Capital Inflows and the Real Exchange Rate: A Comparative Study of Asia and Latin America," Departmental Working Papers 2003-02, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel K. K. Lartey, 2007. "Capital inflows and the real exchange rate: An empirical study of sub-Saharan Africa," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 337-357.
- Joseph Joyce & Linda Kamas, 2003.
"Real and nominal determinants of real exchange rates in Latin America: Short-run dynamics and long-run equilibrium,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(6), pages 155-182.
- Joyce, J.P. & Kamas, L., 1997. "Real and Nominal Determinants of Real Exchange Rates in Latin America: Short-Run Dynamics and Long-Run Equilibrium," Papers 97-05, Wellesley College - Department of Economics.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Hernandez, Leonardo, 1996. "Macroeconomic Adjustment to Capital Inflows: Lessons from Recent Latin American and East Asian Experience," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 61-85, February.
- Peter Henry, 2007. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," Discussion Papers 07-004, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Montiel, Peter J., 1995. "The surge in capital inflows to developing countries : prospects and policy response," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1473, The World Bank.
- Arne Kildegaard, 2006. "Fundamentals of real exchange rate determination: What role in the peso crisis?," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 21(1), pages 3-22.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.