Is the CFA Franc Zone an Optimum Currency Area?
AbstractSummary In this paper, we explore the features of the CFA franc zone and compare them to those of the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) by operationalizing the criteria for an optimum currency area. A structural vector autoregression method is used in modeling national outputs as determined by global, regional, and country-specific shocks. We find that domestic outputs of the CFA franc zone countries are strongly influenced by country-specific shocks while regional shocks are far more important in European countries that have joined the EMU. The results suggest that the CFA franc zone countries are structurally different from each other and thus are more likely to be subjected to asymmetric shocks. They do not appear to form an optimum currency area and the monetary union may have been a costly arrangement for the member countries unless they are compensated with some other benefits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
CFA franc zone West Africa optimum currency area;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Romain Houssa, 2004.
"Monetary Union in West Africa and Asymmetric Shocks: A Dynamic Structural Factor Model Approach,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Houssa, Romain, 2008. "Monetary union in West Africa and asymmetric shocks: A dynamic structural factor model approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 319-347, February.
- Romain Houssa, 2004. "Monetary Union in West Africa and Asymmetric Shocks: A Dynamic Structural Factor Model Approach," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-17, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Anne-Marie Gulde & Jonathan D. Ostry & Holger C. Wolf, 1997.
"Does The Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?,"
97-09, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Anne Marie Gulde & Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1995. "Does the Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?," IMF Working Papers 95/121, International Monetary Fund.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Anne-Marie Gulde & Jonathan D. Ostry & Holger C. Wolf, 1997. "Does the Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?," NBER Working Papers 5874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Majd, Nader, 1996. "Adjustment and economic performance under a fixed exchange rate: A comparative analysis of the CFA zone," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 939-951, May.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Blanchard and Quah AER 1989," Statistical Software Components RTZ00017, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1990. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "BQDODRAWS: RATS procedure to implement Monte Carlo draws from a VAR with Blanchard-Quah factorization," Statistical Software Components RTS00030, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1999.
"One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
7432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," Seminar Papers 678, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Rose, Andrew K, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 2329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet, 2003.
"On the Adequacy of Monetary Arrangements in Sub-Saharian Africa,"
2003-11, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet, 2005. "On the Adequacy of Monetary Arrangements in Sub-Saharan Africa," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 349-373, 03.
- A. Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet, 2003. "On the Adequacy of Monetary Arrangements in Sub-Saharian Africa," THEMA Working Papers 2003-38, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Patrick Honohan & Stephen A. O'Connell, 1997. "Contrasting Monetary Regimes in Africa," IMF Working Papers 97/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillaumont, Patrick & Guillaumont, Sylviane & Plane, Patrick, 1988. "Participating in African monetary unions: An alternative evaluation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 569-576, May.
- David Fielding & Kalvinder Shields, 2005.
"The Impact of Monetary Union on Macroeconomic Integration: Evidence from West Africa,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(288), pages 683-704, November.
- Fielding, David & Shields, Kalvinder, 2004. "The Impact of Monetary Union on Macroeconomic Integration: Evidence from West Africa," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001.
"An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002. "An Estimate Of The Effect Of Common Currencies On Trade And Income," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466, May.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 1997.
"Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
97/82, International Monetary Fund.
- Patrick Guillaumont & Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1999. "Economic Policy Reform and Growth Prospects in Emerging African Economies," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 145, OECD Publishing.
- David Fielding & Kalvinder Shields, 2003. "Do Currency Unions Deliver More Economic Integration than Fixed Exchange Rates? Evidence from the CFA and the ECCU," Discussion Papers in Economics 03/9, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Michel Galy & Michael T. Hadjimichael, 1997. "The CFA Franc Zone and the EMU," IMF Working Papers 97/156, International Monetary Fund.
- Seraphin Fouda & David Stasavage, 2000. "The CFA Franc Zone After EMU: Status Quo, Reform, or Dissolution?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 221-233, 02.
- Allechi, M'Bet & Niamkey, Madeleine A., 1994. "Evaluating the net gains from the CFA Franc Zone membership: A different perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(8), pages 1147-1160, August.
- David Fielding & Kalvinder Shields, 2003. "Economic Integration in West Africa: Does the CFA Make a Difference?," Discussion Papers in Economics 03/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Chow, Hwee Kwan & Kim, Yoonbai, 2003. "A common currency peg in East Asia? Perspectives from Western Europe," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 331-350, September.
- Bleaney, Michael & Fielding, David, 2002. "Exchange rate regimes, inflation and output volatility in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 233-245, June.
- Carlos Vieira & Isabel Vieira, 2012.
"Monetary integration in Eastern and Southern Africa: choosing a currency peg for COMESA,"
CEFAGE-UE Working Papers
2012_03, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Carlos Vieira & Isabel Vieira, 2013. "Monetary Integration In Eastern And Southern Africa: Choosing A Currency Peg For Comesa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 81(3), pages 356-372, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.