An stated preference analysis of Spanish freight forwarders modal choice on the south-west Europe Motorway of the Sea
AbstractThis paper aims to contribute towards the design of effective freight transport policy by means of empirical analysis. In order to do so, a stated preference survey is undertaken to model the modal choice between door-to-door road transport and short sea shipping in the Motorway of the Sea of south-west Europe. The proposed analysis will provide policymakers with the necessary tool to identify the critical areas that should be addressed by future policy action in order to boost short sea shipping on Spain's Mediterranean coast. By applying the proposed method, we will be able to obtain estimates of the subjective values of transport attributes - value of time, value of reliability and value of frequency - in freight transport, values for which barely any empirical evidence on a national scale exists. Quantifying such values is a key part of the cost benefit analyses performed when evaluating transport projects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transport Policy.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergantino, Angela Stefania & Bolis, Simona, 2004. "An analysis of maritime ro-ro freight transport service attributes through adaptive stated preference: an application to a sample of freight forwarders," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 25-26, pages 33-51.
- de Jong, Gerard & Gunn, Hugh & Ben-Akiva, Moshe, 2004. "A meta-model for passenger and freight transport in Europe," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 329-344, October.
- de Jong, Gerard & Ben-Akiva, Moshe, 2007. "A micro-simulation model of shipment size and transport chain choice," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 950-965, November.
- Simona Bolis & Rico Maggi, 2003. "Logistics Strategy and Transport Service Choices: An Adaptive Stated Preference Experiment," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 34(4), pages 490-504.
- M. Beuthe & Ch. Bouffioux, 2008. "Analysing Qualitative Attributes of Freight Transport from Stated Orders of Preference Experiment," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 42(1), pages 105-128, January.
- Rose, John M. & Bliemer, Michiel C.J. & Hensher, David A. & Collins, Andrew T., 2008. "Designing efficient stated choice experiments in the presence of reference alternatives," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 395-406, May.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- W. J. Baumol & H. D. Vinod, 1970. "An Inventory Theoretic Model of Freight Transport Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(7), pages 413-421, March.
- Walker, Joan & Ben-Akiva, Moshe, 2002. "Generalized random utility model," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 303-343, July.
- Truschkin, Eugen & Elbert, Ralf, 2013. "Horizontal transshipment technologies as enablers of combined transport: Impact of transport policies on the modal split," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 91-109.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.