Transport infrastructure: Investment and planning. Policy and research aspects
AbstractSubstantial resources are devoted to infrastructure investment planning. However, considerable distance remains between planning outcomes on the one hand and policy decisions and implementation on the other. This paper looks at the reasons for this difference form the perspective of the experience of the European Conference of Ministers of Transport. A first potential reason for the weaker than expected role of planning in infrastructure policies is the weak data availability. Institutional changes of the transport sector do not facilitate an the upgrade of their quality. Secondly, despite enormous efforts to improve planning methods and institutions there is no obvious convergence to a "best practice". This considerably contributes to the difficulties of international coordination of infrastructure policies, despite the growing demand for such coordination given the rapid processes of international economic integration. Finally, research should help to feed back the results of ex post evaluations of infrastructure investment projects and programs into the planning process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transport Policy.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sichelschmidt, H., 1999. "The EU programme "trans-European networks"--a critical assessment," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 169-181, July.
- Alain Bonnafous & Yves Crozet, 1997. "Evaluation, dévaluation ou réévaluation des lignes à grande vitesse ?," Post-Print halshs-00140016, HAL.
- Alain Bonnafous, 2003. "Assessing our Expertise," Post-Print halshs-00091248, HAL.
- Rothengatter, W., 2000. "Evaluation of infrastructure investments in Germany," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 17-25, January.
- Friedlaender, Ann F. & Mathur, Subodh C., 1982. "Price distortions, financing constraints and second-best investment rules in the transportation industries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 195-215, July.
- Mackie, Peter & Preston, John, 1998. "Twenty-one sources of error and bias in transport project appraisal," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-7, January.
- Quinet, E., 2000. "Evaluation methodologies of transportation projects in France," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 27-34, January.
- Vickerman, R., 2000. "Evaluation methodologies for transport projects in the United Kingdom," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 7-16, January.
- Shih Hsu Wang Author_Email: email@example.com & Ren-Jye Dzeng & Cheng-Kai Huang, 2011. "A Study Of Fuzzy Evaluations Applied In Infrastructure Development Strategy," International Conference on Management (ICM 2011) Proceeding 2011-058-176, Conference Master Resources.
- Salling, Kim Bang & Leleur, Steen, 2011. "Transport appraisal and Monte Carlo simulation by use of the CBA-DK model," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 236-245, January.
- Ricardo S. Martins & Mauro Borges Lemos, 2006.
"Corredor centro-leste: sistemas de transporte de Minas Gerais na perspectivas dos eixos de desenvolvimento e integração,"
Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG
td289, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Ricardo S. Martins & Mauro Borges Lemos, 2006. "Corredor Centro-Leste: Sistemas De Transporte De Minas Gerais Na Perspectivas Dos Eixos De Desenvolvimento E Integração," Anais do XII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 12th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais], in: João Antonio de Paula & et alli (ed.), Anais do XII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 12th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais] Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Olsson, Nils O.E. & Krane, Hans Petter & Rolstadås, Asbjørn & Veiseth, Mads, 2010. "Influence of reference points in ex post evaluations of rail infrastructure projects," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 251-258, August.
- Pradhan, Rudra P. & Bagchi, Tapan P., 2013. "Effect of transportation infrastructure on economic growth in India: The VECM approach," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 139-148.
- Kölbl, Robert & Niegl, Martin & Knoflacher, Hermann, 2008. "A strategic planning methodology," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 273-282, September.
- Polydoropoulou, Amalia & Roumboutsos, Athena, 2009. "Evaluating the impact of decision making during construction on transport project outcome," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 369-380, November.
- Huber, Hans, 2010. "Planning for balanced growth in Chinese air traffic: A case for statistical mechanics," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 178-184.
- Deng, Ping & Lu, Shiqing & Xiao, Hanbin, 2013. "Evaluation of the relevance measure between ports and regional economy using structural equation modeling," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 123-133.
- Knudsen, M.Aa. & Rich, J., 2013. "Ex post socio-economic assessment of the Oresund Bridge," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 53-65.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.