Effects of transport service differentiation in the US domestic airline market
AbstractThis study proposes a framework to identify and measure the extent of product differentiation among services provided by transportation firms, and applies it to the US domestic airline markets. By formulating and estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System and a set of price response equations for competing carriers, we investigate empirically the degree of substitutability between the services provided by Full Service Airlines (FSAs) and Low Cost Carriers (LCCs). Our results indicate that there is a significant differentiation in services provided by FSAs and LCCs. As a result, the presence of LCCs alone will not ensure healthy competition in a market. Therefore, it is important for public policy makers to attempt to maintain competition between FSAs even in the markets where LCCs have substantial market shares.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 47 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Kun & Fan, Xingli & Fu, Xiaowen & Zhou, Yiran, 2014. "Benchmarking the performance of Chinese airlines: An investigation of productivity, yield and cost competitiveness," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 3-14.
- Melo Filho, CÃcero R. & Salgado, Lucia Helena & Sato, Renato Cesar & Oliveira, Alessandro V.M., 2014. "Modeling the effects of wage premiums on airline competition under asymmetric economies of density: A case study from Brazil," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 59-68.
- Wang, Kun & Gong, Qiang & Fu, Xiaowen & Fan, Xingli, 2014. "Frequency and aircraft size dynamics in a concentrated growth market: The case of the Chinese domestic market," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 50-58.
- Hideki Murakami, 2012. "Dynamic Effect of Low-Cost Entry on the Conduct Parameter: An Early-Stage Analysis of Southwest Airlines and America West Airlines," Discussion Papers 2012-25, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Homsombat, Winai & Lei, Zheng & Fu, Xiaowen, 2014. "Competitive effects of the airlines-within-airlines strategy – Pricing and route entry patterns," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 1-16.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.