The impact of truck arrival information on container terminal rehandling
AbstractThis paper uses simulation to evaluate the use of truck arrival information to reduce container rehandles during the import container retrieval process by improving terminal operations. A variety of scenarios with different levels of truck information and various container bay configurations are modeled to explore how the information quality and bay configuration affect the magnitude of benefit. The results demonstrate that a complete arrival sequence is not required to substantially reduce rehandles, significant benefit can be obtained under small amounts of information, the benefits grow with the bay size, and that updating information in real time significantly lowers information requirements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marianne Fischman & Emeric Lendjel, 2012. "Maritime Ports And Inland Interconnections: A Transactional Analysis Of Container Barge Transport In France," Post-Print halshs-00741127, HAL.
- Emeric Lendjel & Marianne Fischman & Elisabeth Gouvernal, 2012. "Les Structures De Gouvernances De La Chaine Transactionnelle Du Transport Fluvial De Conteneurs Sur Le Rhone," Working Papers halshs-00741130, HAL.
- Emeric Lendjel & Marianne Fischman & Elisabeth Gouvernal, 2012. "Les Structures De Gouvernances De La Chaine Transactionnelle Du Transport Fluvial De Conteneurs Sur Le Rhone," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00741130, HAL.
- Chen, Gang & Govindan, Kannan & Yang, Zhongzhen, 2013. "Managing truck arrivals with time windows to alleviate gate congestion at container terminals," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 179-188.
- Marianne Fischman & Emeric Lendjel, 2012. "Maritime Ports And Inland Interconnections: A Transactional Analysis Of Container Barge Transport In France," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00741127, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.