A decision support system for vehicle relocation operations in carsharing systems
AbstractThis paper presents a novel three-phase optimization-trend-simulation (OTS) decision support system for carsharing operators to determine a set of near-optimal manpower and operating parameters for the vehicle relocation problem. Tested on a set of commercially operational data from a carsharing company in Singapore, the simulation results suggest that the manpower and parameters recommended by the OTS system lead to a reduction in staff cost of 50%, a reduction in zero-vehicle-time ranging between 4.6% and 13.0%, a maintenance of the already low full-port-time and a reduction in number of relocations ranging between 37.1% and 41.1%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nair, Rahul & Miller-Hooks, Elise, 2014. "Equilibrium network design of shared-vehicle systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(1), pages 47-61.
- Nourinejad, Mehdi & Roorda, Matthew J., 2014. "A dynamic carsharing decision support system," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 36-50.
- Romeo Danielis, Lucia Rotaris, Eva Valeri, 2012. "Carsharing for tourists," RIEDS - Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica - Italian Review of Economics, Demography and Statistics, SIEDS Societa' Italiana di Economia Demografia e Statistica, vol. 0(2), pages 103-119.
- Correia, Gonçalo Homem de Almeida & Antunes, António Pais, 2012. "Optimization approach to depot location and trip selection in one-way carsharing systems," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 233-247.
- Michael Duncan, 2011. "The cost saving potential of carsharing in a US context," Transportation, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 363-382, March.
- Agatz, Niels & Erera, Alan & Savelsbergh, Martin & Wang, Xing, 2012. "Optimization for dynamic ride-sharing: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(2), pages 295-303.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.