Congestion pricing, slot sales and slot trading in aviation
AbstractThis paper studies the regulation of an airline duopoly on a congested airport. Regulation should then address two market failures: uninternalized congestion, and overpricing due to market power. We find that first-best charges are differentiated over airlines if asymmetric, and completely drive out the least efficient airline from the market. This is not generally the case for an undifferentiated charge, which is found to be a weighted average of first-best charge rules for the two airlines, and is less-than-optimally efficient because of its inability to differentiate between them. Tradable slots may yield the first-best outcome if the congestion externality is relatively important and the market power distortion relatively unimportant, but may be less efficient than non-intervention when the reverse is true.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
Other versions of this item:
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2008. "Congestion Pricing, Slot Sales and Slot Trading in Aviation," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government Pricing and Policy
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan K. Brueckner & Kurt Van Dender, 2007.
"Atomistic Congestion Tolls at Concentrated Airports? Seeking a Unified View in the Internalization Debate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2033, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Van Dender, Kurt, 2008. "Atomistic congestion tolls at concentrated airports? Seeking a unified view in the internalization debate," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 288-295, September.
- J. H. Dales, 1968. "Land, Water, and Ownership," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 1(4), pages 791-804, November.
- Small, K.A. & Gomez-Ibanez, J.A., 1996.
95-96-4, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
- Swan, William M. & Adler, Nicole, 2006. "Aircraft trip cost parameters: A function of stage length and seat capacity," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 105-115, March.
- Buchanan, James M, 1969. "External Diseconomies, Corrective Taxes, and Market Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 174-77, March.
- Verhoef Erik T., 1997. "Externalities," Serie Research Memoranda 0031, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- E Verhoef & P Nijkamp & P Rietveld, 1997. "Tradeable permits: their potential in the regulation of road transport externalities," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(4), pages 527-548, July.
- Pels, Eric & Verhoef, Erik T., 2004.
"The economics of airport congestion pricing,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 257-277, March.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1976. "Optimal taxation : An introduction to the literature," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 37-54.
- Daniel, Joseph I, 1995. "Congestion Pricing and Capacity of Large Hub Airports: A Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Queues," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 327-70, March.
- Montgomery, W. David, 1972. "Markets in licenses and efficient pollution control programs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 395-418, December.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2006. "Airport capacity and congestion when carriers have market power," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 229-247, September.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2009. "Price vs. quantity-based approaches to airport congestion management," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(5-6), pages 681-690, June.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Yimin, 1990. "Airport pricing : Congestion tolls, lumpy investment, and cost recovery," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 353-374, December.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Verhoef, Erik T., 2010.
"Manipulable congestion tolls,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 315-321, May.
- Lorenzo Castelli & Paola Pellegrini & Raffaele Pesenti, 2010. "Airport slot allocation in Europe: economic efficiency and fairness," Working Papers 197, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2008. "Slot-Based Approaches to Airport Congestion Management," CESifo Working Paper Series 2302, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hugo E. Silva & Erik T. Verhoef & Vincent A.C. van den Berg, 2012. "Airlines' Strategic Interactions and Airport Pricing in a Dynamic Bottleneck Model of Congestion," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-056/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 15 Jul 2013.
- Hugo E. Silva & Erik T. Verhoef, 2011. "Optimal Pricing of Flights and Passengers at Congested Airports: The Efficiency of Atomistic Charges," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-179/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 28 Mar 2013.
- Lin, Ming Hsin, 2013. "Airport privatization in congested hub–spoke networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 51-67.
- Paola Pellegrini & Lorenzo Castelli & Raffaele Pesenti, 2011. "Metaheuristic algorithms for the simultaneous slot allocation problem," Working Papers 9, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.