Multiple equilibrium behaviors and advanced traveler information systems with endogenous market penetration
AbstractWe consider a specific advanced traveler information system (ATIS) whose objective is to reduce drivers' time uncertainty with recurrent network congestion through provision of traffic information to drivers. Suppose drivers equipped with an ATIS will receive complete information and hence be able to find the minimum travel time routes in a user-optimal manner, while drivers not equipped with an ATIS will have only incomplete information and hence may take longer travel time routes in a stochastic manner. We propose a convex programming model and an algorithm to solve this mixed behavior equilibrium problem for any given level of the market penetration of ATIS. Furthermore, suppose that the information benefit received by a driver who buys an ATIS is measured as the travel time saving (stochastic mean travel time minus deterministic minimum travel time in a mixed behavior equilibrium over a common network), and the market penetration of ATIS is determined by a continuous increasing function of the information benefit, then we have a variable, mixed behavior equilibrium model with endogenous market penetration in an ATIS environment. We establish the existence, uniqueness and stability of this performance and demand equilibrium of ATIS, and propose an iterative procedure to calculate the ATIS market penetration and the resulting equilibrium network flow pattern.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 32 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett, Lloyd D., 1993. "The existence of equivalent mathematical programs for certain mixed equilibrium traffic assignment problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 177-187, December.
- Mingyuan Chen & Attahiru Sule Alfa, 1991. "Algorithms for solving fisk's stochastic traffic assignment model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 405-412, December.
- Yang, Reddy H & Vaughn, K M & Abdel-Aty, M A & Kitamura, R & Jovanis, P P, 1995. "Design of an Artificial Simulator for Analyzing Route Choice Behavior in the Presence of Information System," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt93x4h7pp, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Kanafani, A. & Al-Deek, H., 1991. "A simple model for route guidance benefits," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 191-201, August.
- Rong Zhang & Erik T. Verhoef, 2004.
"A Monopolistic Market for Advanced Traveller Information Systems and Road Use Efficiency,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-014/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Zhang, Rong & Verhoef, Erik T., 2006. "A monopolistic market for advanced traveller information systems and road use efficiency," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 424-443, June.
- Lo, Hong K. & Szeto, W. Y., 2004. "Modeling advanced traveler information services: static versus dynamic paradigms," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 495-515, July.
- André De Palma & Robin Lindsey & Nathalie Picard, 2008. "Risk aversion, the value of information and traffic equilibrium," Working Papers hal-00349492, HAL.
- Huang, Hai-Jun & Li, Zhi-Chun, 2007. "A multiclass, multicriteria logit-based traffic equilibrium assignment model under ATIS," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1464-1477, February.
- Yin, Yafeng & Yang, Hai, 2003. "Simultaneous determination of the equilibrium market penetration and compliance rate of advanced traveler information systems," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 165-181, February.
- Lam, William H. K. & Zhou, Jing & Sheng, Zhao-han, 2002. "A capacity restraint transit assignment with elastic line frequency," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 919-938, December.
- Yamada, Tadashi & Imai, Koji & Nakamura, Takamasa & Taniguchi, Eiichi, 2011. "A supply chain-transport supernetwork equilibrium model with the behaviour of freight carriers," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 887-907.
- Lo, Hong K. & Szeto, W. Y., 2002. "A methodology for sustainable traveler information services," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 113-130, February.
- Yang, Hai & Zhang, Xiaoning & Meng, Qiang, 2007. "Stackelberg games and multiple equilibrium behaviors on networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 841-861, October.
- Lei Zhang & David Levinson, 2006. "Determinants of Route Choice and the Value of Traveler Information," Working Papers 200808, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Yang, Hai & Meng, Qiang, 2001. "Modeling user adoption of advanced traveler information systems: dynamic evolution and stationary equilibrium," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 895-912, December.
- Enrique Fernández L., J. & de Cea Ch, Joaquín & Germán Valverde, G., 2009. "Effect of advanced traveler information systems and road pricing in a network with non-recurrent congestion," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 481-499, June.
- Hai-Jun Huang & Tian-Liang Liu & Xiaolei Guo & Hai Yang, 2011. "Inefficiency of Logit-Based Stochastic User Equilibrium in a Traffic Network Under ATIS," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 255-269, June.
- Arthur Huang & David Levinson, 2009. "Modeling phase changes of road networks," Working Papers 000061, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Hai Yang, 1999. "Evaluating the benefits of a combined route guidance and road pricing system in a traffic network with recurrent congestion," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 299-322, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.