A firm specific analysis of economies of size in the U.S. urban multiservice transit industry
AbstractThis paper investigates the long-run cost structure of a specific firm of the U.S. urban multiservice transit industry, thereby permitting inferences to be made to the long-run cost structure of similar firms in the industry. The empirical results indicate that the firm exhibits economies of size over a wide service range. Since cost complementarity does not exist for all service combinations, the results do not support the existence of economies of scope.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 26 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mehdi Farsi & Aurelio Fetz & Massimo Filippini, 2006.
"Economies of scale and scope in local public transportation,"
CEPE Working paper series
06-48, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Aurelio Fetz & Massimo Filippini, 2007. "Economies of Scale and Scope in Local Public Transportation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 41(3), pages 345-361, September.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G., 2003. "Investigating transit production and performance: a programming approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 225-240, March.
- Massimo Filippini & Mehdi Farsi & Marie-Anne Plagnet & Roxana Saplacan, 2010.
"Unobserved Heterogeneity and International Benchmarking in Public Transport,"
CEPE Working paper series
10-73, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Cullmann, Astrid & Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini Massimo, 2009. "Unobserved Heterogeneity and International Benchmarking in Public Trasport," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0904, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Astrid Cullmann & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2009. "Unobserved Heterogeneity and International Benchmarking in Public Transport," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 960, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Astrid Cullman & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2009. "Unobserved Heterogeneity and International Benchmarking in Public Transport," CEPE Working paper series 09-65, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.