Public regulation and passengers importance in port infrastructure costs
AbstractBecause ports are conceived and designed mainly to be the transfer point of various types of freight, passengers tend to be forgotten in the analysis of port costs. In this paper first we investigate the importance of passengers in port infrastructure costs by means of a multi-output cost function estimated from 20 annual observations (1986-2005) for 26 Spanish Port Authorities. Results show that, although a passenger weights on average less than one tenth of a ton, he or she represents as much as two tons of solid bulk and about three tons of containerized general cargo in terms of marginal costs. Secondly, we compare the marginal costs of different cargoes with their price caps established by law. Results suggest that some type of second best pricing is induced by present regulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Moshe & Sachish, Arie, 1986. "The Structure of Production, Technical Change and Productivity in a Port," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 209-23, December.
- Angelos Pantouvakis, 2006. "Port-Service Quality Dimensions and Passenger Profiles: An Exploratory Examination and Analysis," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(4), pages 402-418, December.
- Coto-millán, Pablo, 1996. "Maritime transport policy in Spain (1974-1995)," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 37-41.
- Sergio Jara-Díaz & Eduardo Martínez-Budría & Cristiín Cortés & Leonardo Basso, 2002. "A multioutput cost function for the services of Spanish ports' infrastructure," Transportation, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 419-437, November.
- Sergio Jara-Díaz & Beatriz Tovar De La Fé & Lourdes Trujillo, 2005. "Multioutput analysis of cargo handling firms: An application to a Spanish port," Transportation, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 275-291, 05.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, January.
- Gonzalez, Maria Manuela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2005. "Reforms and infrastructure efficiency in Spain's container ports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3515, The World Bank.
- González, MarIÂ´a Manuela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2008. "Reforms and infrastructure efficiency in Spain's container ports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 243-257, January.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Greene, William H, 1976. "Economies of Scale in U.S. Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 655-76, August.
- Castillo-Manzano, José I. & López-Valpuesta, Lourdes & Pérez, Javier J., 2008. "Economic analysis of the Spanish port sector reform during the 1990s," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1056-1063, October.
- James Odeck, 2008. "Efficiency Measurement of Ferries Serving Road Networks in Norway: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(4), pages 409-428, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.