Modelling the effects of road pricing on traffic in Singapore
AbstractWith increasing worldwide interest in the application of urban road pricing, the experience of Singapore can be very useful. Under the Singapore Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system, charges for entering the city centre and using some expressways vary by time of day and are being periodically revised in order to maintain traffic speeds within the desirable bands. Traffic response to these revisions shows that demand elasticity with respect to pricing is higher for cars than for other vehicles and higher for expressways than for the city centre cordon. It is also lower in the morning peak and higher in the afternoon. A discrete choice based model of motorist response to pricing is proposed for a single toll point with peak period variable pricing. The choices considered include the time interval of travel and re-routing to avoid the toll. The model was calibrated for one expressway and two arterial roads using only traffic volume data collected before and after ERP introduction. The model reflected well the peak spreading effect of variable road pricing and the penalties for rescheduling and re-routing of trips. In general, the Singapore experience suggests that variable pricing is an effective method of controlling congestion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 7-9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnott, R. & de Palma, A. & Lindsey, R., 1990. "Departure time and route choice for the morning commute," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 209-228, June.
- Paulley, Neil, 2002. "Recent studies on key issues in road pricing," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 175-177, July.
- Brownstone, David & Ghosh, Arindam & Golob, Thomas F. & Kazimi, Camilla & Van Amelsfort, Dirk, 2003. "Drivers' willingness-to-pay to reduce travel time: evidence from the San Diego I-15 congestion pricing project," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 373-387, May.
- Phang, Sock-Yong & Toh, Rex S., 1997. "From manual to electronic road congestion pricing: The Singapore experience and experiment," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 97-106, June.
- Gerard de Jong & Hugh Gunn, 2001. "Recent Evidence on Car Cost and Time Elasticities of Travel Demand in Europe," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(2), pages 137-160, May.
- Georgina Santos & Laurent Rojey, 2004. "Distributional impacts of road pricing: The truth behind the myth," Transportation, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 21-42, February.
- Jones, Peter & Hervik, Arild, 1992. "Restraining car traffic in European cities: An emerging role for road pricing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 133-145, March.
- Small, Kenneth A, 1982. "The Scheduling of Consumer Activities: Work Trips," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 467-79, June.
- Small, Kenneth A, 1987. "A Discrete Choice Model for Ordered Alternatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 409-24, March.
- Jou, Rong-Chang & Chiou, Yu-Chiun & Chen, Ke-Hong & Tan, Hao-I, 2012. "Freeway drivers’ willingness-to-pay for a distance-based toll rate," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 549-559.
- Xie, Litian & Olszewski, Piotr, 2011. "Modelling the effects of road pricing on traffic using ERP traffic data," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(6), pages 512-522, July.
- Lai, Li-Hua, 2008. "An evaluation of fuzzy transportation underwriting systematic risk," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1231-1237, November.
- Chu, Singfat, 2012. "Allocation flexibility and price efficiency within Singapore’s Vehicle Quota System," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1541-1550.
- Singfat Chu, 2011. "Sealed v/s open bids for certificates of entitlement under the vehicle quota system in Singapore," Transportation, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 215-226, March.
- Piotr Olszewski, 2007. "Singapore motorisation restraint and its implications on travel behaviour and urban sustainability," Transportation, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 319-335, May.
- Holgin-Veras, José, 2008. "Necessary conditions for off-hour deliveries and the effectiveness of urban freight road pricing and alternative financial policies in competitive markets," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 392-413, February.
- Holguin-Veras, Jose & Cetin, Mecit & Xia, Shuwen, 2006. "A comparative analysis of US toll policy," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 852-871, December.
- Jou, Rong-Chang & Huang, Guei-Lang, 2014. "Willingness to pay price for tolls and on-board units for short-distance freeway users who normally avoid toll boots," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 10-18.
- De Leon, Marycruz & Fullerton, Thomas M., Jr. & Kelley, Brian W., 2009. "Tolls, Exchange Rates, and Borderplex International Bridge Traffic," MPRA Paper 19861, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guohui Zhang & Zhong Wang & Khali Persad & C. Walton, 2014. "Enhanced traffic information dissemination to facilitate toll road utilization: a nested logit model of a stated preference survey in Texas," Transportation, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 231-249, March.
- Sathaye, Nakul & Harley, Robert & Madanat, Samer, 2010. "Unintended environmental impacts of nighttime freight logistics activities," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 642-659, October.
- Condeço-Melhorado, Ana & Gutiérrez, Javier & García-Palomares, Juan Carlos, 2011. "Spatial impacts of road pricing: Accessibility, regional spillovers and territorial cohesion," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 185-203, March.
- Holgun-Veras, Jos & Cetin, Mecit, 2009. "Optimal tolls for multi-class traffic: Analytical formulations and policy implications," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 445-467, May.
- Daniel Albalate & Germa Bel, 2008. "Motorways, tolls and road safety.Evidence from European Panel Data," IREA Working Papers 200802, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Feb 2008.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Mattsson, Lars-Göran, 2006. "Equity effects of congestion pricing: Quantitative methodology and a case study for Stockholm," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 602-620, August.
- Daniel Albalate & Germa Bel, 2008. "Shaping urban traffic patterns through congestion charging: What factors drive success or failure?," IREA Working Papers 200801, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jan 2008.
- Holguín-Veras, José, 2011. "Urban delivery industry response to cordon pricing, time-distance pricing, and carrier-receiver policies in competitive markets," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 802-824, October.
- Liu, Shiyong & Triantis, Konstantinos P. & Sarangi, Sudipta, 2010. "A framework for evaluating the dynamic impacts of a congestion pricing policy for a transportation socioeconomic system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 596-608, October.
- Anas, Alex & Hiramatsu, Tomoru, 2013. "The economics of cordon tolling: General equilibrium and welfare analysis," Economics of Transportation, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 18-37.
- Elvik, Rune & Ramjerdi, Farideh, 2014. "A comparative analysis of the effects of economic policy instruments in promoting environmentally sustainable transport," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 89-95.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.