Efficiency measurement of selected Australian and other international ports using data envelopment analysis
AbstractAvailable studies have not provided a satisfactory answer to the problem of making international comparisons of port efficiency. This study applies data envelopment analysis (DEA) to provide an efficiency measurement for four Australian and twelve other international container ports. While DEA has been applied to a wide number of different situations where efficiency comparisons are required, this technique has not previously been applied to ports. The DEA technique is useful in resolving the measurement of port efficiency because the calculations are non-parametric, can handle more than one output and do not require an explicit a priori determination of relationships between output and inputs, as is required for conventional estimation of efficiency using production functions. The ports of Melbourne, Rotterdam, Yokohama and Osaka are found to be the most inefficient ports in the sample, based on constant and variable returns to scale assumptions, mainly due to the enormous slack in their container berths, terminal area and labor inputs. The study also draws some policy implications for ports and recommends certain areas for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gong, Byeong-Ho & Sickles, Robin C., 1991.
"Finite Sample Evidence on the Performance of Stochastic Frontiers and Data Envelopment Analysis Using Panel Data,"
91-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Gong, Byeong-Ho & Sickles, Robin C., 1992. "Finite sample evidence on the performance of stochastic frontiers and data envelopment analysis using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 259-284.
- Ali, Agha Iqbal & Lerme, Catherine S. & Seiford, Lawrence M., 1995. "Components of efficiency evaluation in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 462-473, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Jose L. Tongzon, 1989. "The Impact Of Wharfage Costs On Victoria'S Export-Oriented Industries," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 8(4), pages 58-64, December.
- Burton, M P & Phimister, Euan, 1995. "Core Journals: A Reappraisal of the Diamond List," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 361-73, March.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Lewin, Arie Y & Morey, Richard C & Cook, Thomas J, 1982. "Evaluating the administrative efficiency of courts," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 401-411.
- González, MarIÂ´a Manuela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2008. "Reforms and infrastructure efficiency in Spain's container ports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 243-257, January.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Measuring seaports’ productivity: A Malmquist productivity index decomposition approach," MPRA Paper 40174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cheon, SangHyun, 2007. "World Port Institutions and Productivity: Roles of Ownership, Corporate Structure, and Inter-port Competition," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7t64h5wr, University of California Transportation Center.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Wesley Wilson, 2006. "New Measures of Port Efficiency Using International Trade Data," NBER Working Papers 12052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yan, Jia & Sun, Xinyu & Liu, John J., 2009. "Assessing container operator efficiency with heterogeneous and time-varying production frontiers," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 172-185, January.
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002.
"Efficiency Gains from Port Reform and the Potential for Yardstick Competition: Lessons from Mexico,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43983, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2002. "Efficiency Gains from Port Reform and the Potential for Yardstick Competition: Lessons from Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 545-560, April.
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002. "Efficiency gains from port reform and the potential for Yardstick competition: lessons from Mexico?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13376, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tongzon, Jose & Heng, Wu, 2005. "Port privatization, efficiency and competitiveness: Some empirical evidence from container ports (terminals)," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 405-424, June.
- Chiou, Yu-Chiun & Lan, Lawrence W. & Yen, Barbara T.H., 2010. "A joint measurement of efficiency and effectiveness for non-storable commodities: Integrated data envelopment analysis approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 477-489, March.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Ji, Ping & Wang, Teng-fei, 2005. "The relationship between privatization and DEA estimates of efficiency in the container port industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 433-462.
- Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana & Tovar, Beatriz & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2007. "Firm and time varying technical and allocative efficiency: An application to port cargo handling firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 149-161, September.
- Bichou, Khalid, 2013. "An empirical study of the impacts of operating and market conditions on container-port efficiency and benchmarking," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 28-37.
- Estache, Antonio & de la Fe, Beatriz Tovar & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2004.
"Sources of efficiency gains in port reform: a DEA decomposition of a Malmquist TFP index for Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 221-230, December.
- Antonio Estache & B. Tovar & Lourdes Trujillo, 2004. "Sources of Efficiency Gains in Port Reform: A DEA Decomposition of a Malmquist TFP Index for Mexico," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43973, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Yip, Tsz Leung & Sun, Xin Yu & Liu, John J., 2011. "Group and individual heterogeneity in a stochastic frontier model: Container terminal operators," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(3), pages 517-525, September.
- Yuen, Andrew Chi-lok & Zhang, Anming & Cheung, Waiman, 2013. "Foreign participation and competition: A way to improve the container port efficiency in China?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 220-231.
- Kevin Cullinane & Dong-Wook Song, 2003. "A stochastic frontier model of the productive efficiency of Korean container terminals," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 251-267.
- Chang, Young-Tae & Zhang, Ning & Danao, Denise & Zhang, Nan, 2013. "Environmental efficiency analysis of transportation system in China: A non-radial DEA approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 277-283.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Wang, Teng-Fei & Song, Dong-Wook & Ji, Ping, 2006. "The technical efficiency of container ports: Comparing data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 354-374, May.
- Gonzalez, M. & Trujillo, L., 2007. "Efficiency measurement in the port industry: a survey of the empirical evidence," Working Papers 07/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.