A model for medium-term operations planning in an intermodal rail-truck service
AbstractThis paper describes a model developed for medium-term operations planning in an intermodal rail-truck system. It was motivated by the need to redesign such systems to produce 1. (1) more reliable service, 2. (2) multiple service classes, and 3. (3) better equipment and facility utilization. The model is an integer linear program, which is computationally difficult to solve. A heuristic procedure was developed which provides excellent solutions, generally within 1% of the known optimal solution to the relaxed (non-integer) problem. Thus the model and heuristic could be used on large networks. Uses of the model and possible extensions are briefly discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 31 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Assad, Arjang A., 1980. "Modelling of rail networks: Toward a routing/makeup model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 101-114.
- Keaton, Mark H., 1989. "Designing optimal railroad operating plans: Lagrangian relaxation and heuristic approaches," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 415-431, December.
- Tsamboulas, Dimitrios & Vrenken, Huub & Lekka, Anna-Maria, 2007. "Assessment of a transport policy potential for intermodal mode shift on a European scale," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 715-733, October.
- Bontekoning, Y. M. & Macharis, C. & Trip, J. J., 2004. "Is a new applied transportation research field emerging?--A review of intermodal rail-truck freight transport literature," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Macharis, C. & Bontekoning, Y. M., 2004. "Opportunities for OR in intermodal freight transport research: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 400-416, March.
- Janic, Milan, 2008. "An assessment of the performance of the European long intermodal freight trains (LIFTS)," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 1326-1339, December.
- Yang, Hai & Bell, Michael G. H. & Meng, Qiang, 2000. "Modeling the capacity and level of service of urban transportation networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 255-275, May.
- Kraft, Edwin R., 2002. "Scheduling railway freight delivery appointments using a bid price approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 145-165, February.
- Reis, Vasco & Fabian Meier, J. & Pace, Giuseppe & Palacin, Roberto, 2013. "Rail and multi-modal transport," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 17-30.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.