The use of spatial separation in the measurement of transportation accessibility
AbstractIn a recent article, Allen et al. (1993) [Transpn Res. 27B, 439-449] introduce what they call a new transportation accessibility measure. The present paper raises some questions about the history of the measure and its novelty. It is argued that accessibility indices have a longer history than the authors suggest and that the proposed index of accessibility, being the average distance among a set of locations, is neither new, nor worthy of the claims made for it. In addition, some questions are raised about the associated empirical results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 29 (1995)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J W Weibull, 1980. "On the numerical measurement of accessibility," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 12(1), pages 53-67, January.
- R W Vickerman, 1974. "Accessibility, attraction, and potential: a review of some concepts and their use in determining mobility," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 6(6), pages 675-691, June.
- Allen, W. Bruce & Liu, Dong & Singer, Scott, 1993. "Accesibility measures of U.S. metropolitan areas," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 439-449, December.
- D Martin & H C W L Williams, 1992. "Market-area analysis and accessibility to primary health-care centres," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(7), pages 1009-1019, July.
- M Chisholm, 1985. "Accessibility and regional development in Britain: some questions arising from data on freight flows," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 17(7), pages 963-980, July.
- Wang, Jiaoe & Jin, Fengjun & Mo, Huihui & Wang, Fahui, 2009. "Spatiotemporal evolution of China's railway network in the 20th century: An accessibility approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(8), pages 765-778, October.
- Chang, Stephanie E. & Nojima, Nobuoto, 2001. "Measuring post-disaster transportation system performance: the 1995 Kobe earthquake in comparative perspective," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 475-494, July.
- Sweet, Richard John, 1997. "An aggregate measure of travel utility," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 403-416, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.