Error covariance matrix estimation using ridge estimator
AbstractThis article considers sparse covariance matrix estimation of high dimension. In contrast to the existing methods which are based on the residual estimation from least squares estimator, we utilize residuals from ridge estimator with the adaptive thresholding technique to estimate the error covariance matrix in high dimensional factor model. By obtaining the explicit convergence rates of the ridge estimator under regularity conditions, we formulated our thresholding estimator of the true covariance matrix. Our thresholding estimator can be applied to more scenarios and is shown to have comparable rate of convergence to Fan et al. (2011).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 83 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cai, Tony & Liu, Weidong, 2011. "Adaptive Thresholding for Sparse Covariance Matrix Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 106(494), pages 672-684.
- Luo, June, 2012. "Asymptotic efficiency of ridge estimator in linear and semiparametric linear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 58-62.
- Luo, June, 2010. "The discovery of mean square error consistency of a ridge estimator," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(5-6), pages 343-347, March.
- Fan, Jianqing & Fan, Yingying & Lv, Jinchi, 2008. "High dimensional covariance matrix estimation using a factor model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 186-197, November.
- Rothman, Adam J. & Levina, Elizaveta & Zhu, Ji, 2009. "Generalized Thresholding of Large Covariance Matrices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 177-186.
- Shao, Jun & Chow, Shein-Chung, 2007. "Variable screening in predicting clinical outcome with high-dimensional microarrays," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(8), pages 1529-1538, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.