Relationships between distributions with certain symmetries
AbstractThe genesis of two-way links between the inverse Gaussian and Birnbaum–Saunders distributions is explored and extended. The most general results apply to pairs of distributions with a general ‘S-symmetry’ structure involving a self-inverse function closely related to a transformation function with certain properties. These general results arise by transformation from very simple properties of the familiar Azzalini-type skew-symmetric distributions. They specialise again to relationships between R-symmetric and log-symmetric distributions, between various models related to the inverse Gaussian and Birnbaum–Saunders distributions, relationships involving the sinh–arcsinh transformation, and others. Simple random variate generation is a practical consequence of these relationships.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 82 (2012)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Sanhueza & Víctor Leiva & N. Balakrishnan, 2008. "A new class of inverse Gaussian type distributions," Metrika, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 31-49, June.
- J. Rosco & M. Jones & Arthur Pewsey, 2011. "Skew t distributions via the sinh-arcsinh transformation," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 630-652, November.
- M.C. Jones, 2007. "Connecting Distributions with Power Tails on the Real Line, the Half Line and the Interval," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 75(1), pages 58-69, 04.
- Ramesh C. Gupta & Debasis Kundu, 2011. "Weighted inverse Gaussian -- a versatile lifetime model," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(12), pages 2695-2708, February.
- Víctor Leiva & Hugo Hernández & Antonio Sanhueza, . "An R Package for a General Class of Inverse Gaussian Distributions," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 26(i04).
- M. C. Jones & Arthur Pewsey, 2009. "Sinh-arcsinh distributions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(4), pages 761-780.
- Lemonte, Artur J., 2013. "A new extended Birnbaum–Saunders regression model for lifetime modeling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 34-50.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.