Hierarchical reinforced urn processes
AbstractWe define a class of reinforced urn processes, based on Hoppe’s urn scheme, that are Markov exchangeable, with a countable and possibly unknown state space. This construction extends the reinforced urn processes developed by Muliere et al. (2000) and widely used in Bayesian nonparametric inference and survival analysis. We also shed light on the connections with apparently unrelated constructions, recently proposed in the machine learning literature, such as the infinite hidden Markov model, offering a general framework for a deeper study of their theoretical properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 82 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pasquale Cirillo & Jürg Hüsler & Pietro Muliere, 2010. "A Nonparametric Urn-Based Approach To Interacting Failing Systems With An Application To Credit Risk Modeling," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(08), pages 1223-1240.
- Muliere, P. & Secchi, P. & Walker, S. G., 2000. "Urn schemes and reinforced random walks," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 59-78, July.
- Mezzetti, Maura & Muliere, Pietro & Bulla, Paolo, 2007. "An application of reinforced urn processes to determining maximum tolerated dose," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(7), pages 740-747, April.
- Muliere, Pietro & Secchi, Piercesare & Walker, Stephen, 2005. "Partially exchangeable processes indexed by the vertices of a k-tree constructed via reinforcement," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 115(4), pages 661-677, April.
- Teh, Yee Whye & Jordan, Michael I. & Beal, Matthew J. & Blei, David M., 2006. "Hierarchical Dirichlet Processes," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1566-1581, December.
- Lorenzo Trippa & Paolo Bulla & Sonia Petrone, 2011. "Extended Bernstein prior via reinforced urn processes," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 63(3), pages 481-496, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.