High-dimensional generation of Bernoulli random vectors
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to explore different modeling strategies to generate high-dimensional Bernoulli vectors. We discuss the multivariate Bernoulli (MB) distribution, probe its properties and examine three models for generating random vectors. A latent multivariate normal model whose bivariate distributions are approximated with Plackett distributions with univariate normal distributions is presented. A conditional mean model is examined where the conditional probability of success depends on previous history of successes. A mixture of beta distributions is also presented that expresses the probability of the MB vector as a product of correlated binary random variables. Each method has a domain of effectiveness. The latent model offers unpatterned correlation structures while the conditional mean and the mixture model provide computational feasibility for high-dimensional generation of MB vectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick J. Farrell & Katrina Rogers-Stewart, 2008. "Methods for Generating Longitudinally Correlated Binary Data," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 76(1), pages 28-38, 04.
- James, Barry & James, Kang & Qi, Yongcheng, 2008. "Limit theorems for correlated Bernoulli random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(15), pages 2339-2345, October.
- Bahjat F. Qaqish, 2003. "A family of multivariate binary distributions for simulating correlated binary variables with specified marginal means and correlations," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(2), pages 455-463, June.
- N. Rao Chaganty & Harry Joe, 2006. "Range of correlation matrices for dependent Bernoulli random variables," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 93(1), pages 197-206, March.
- Farrell, Patrick J. & Sutradhar, Brajendra C., 2006. "A non-linear conditional probability model for generating correlated binary data," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(4), pages 353-361, February.
- Modarres, Reza, 2014. "On the interpoint distances of Bernoulli vectors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 215-222.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.