Some new results on unimodality of generalized order statistics and their spacings
AbstractBecause of the importance of ordered random variables and, in general, generalized order statistics (GOSs), in many branches of Statistics, a wide interest has been shown in investigating unimodality and strong unimodality of such random variables. Assuming certain restrictions on the model parameters and distributions, some authors have shown unimodality of GOSs. In this article, we shall provide some new results on unimodality of GOSs based on the population distribution function which contain and strengthen several known findings in this regard. A counterexample is also provided for the cases where the results are not valid in general. Unimodality of arbitrary spacings of GOSs based on exponential distributions is also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- An, Mark Yuying, 1995.
"Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization,"
95-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1998. "Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-369, June.
- Basak, Prasanta & Basak, Indrani, 2002. "Unimodality of the distribution of record statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 395-398, February.
- Aliev, Fazil Alioglu, 2003. "A comment on 'Unimodality of the distribution of record statistics'," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 39-40, August.
- Erhard Cramer & Udo Kamps, 2003. "Marginal distributions of sequential and generalized order statistics," Metrika, Springer, vol. 58(3), pages 293-310, December.
- Erhard Cramer & Udo Kamps & Tomasz Rychlik, 2004. "Unimodality of uniform generalized order statistics, with applications to mean bounds," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 56(1), pages 183-192, March.
- Chen, Huaihou & Xie, Hongmei & Hu, Taizhong, 2009. "Log-concavity of generalized order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 396-399, February.
- Cramer, Erhard, 2004. "Logconcavity and unimodality of progressively censored order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 83-90, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.