Estimates of low bias for the multivariate normal
AbstractGiven a sample from a multivariate normal with mean , a method is given for obtaining estimates with low bias for a function of the parameters. When the function is a product of positive powers of the parameters, an unbiased estimate is available. Estimates of ratios like [mu]1/[mu]2 are given with bias ~n-5, where n is the sample size. Simulation studies show superior performance of these estimates versus traditional ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yanagihara, Hirokazu, 2006. "Corrected version of AIC for selecting multivariate normal linear regression models in a general nonnormal case," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1070-1089, May.
- Sun, Dongchu & Sun, Xiaoqian, 2006. "Estimation of multivariate normal covariance and precision matrices in a star-shape model with missing data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 698-719, March.
- Hutson, Alan D., 2002. "Quasi-medians are robust and relatively efficient estimators of a common mean given multivariate normality," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 403-408, May.
- Misra, Neeraj & Singh, Harshinder & Demchuk, Eugene, 2005. "Estimation of the entropy of a multivariate normal distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 324-342, February.
- Dongchu Sun & Xiaoqian Sun, 2005. "Estimation of the multivariate normal precision and covariance matrices in a star-shape model," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 57(3), pages 455-484, September.
- Kollo, T. & Vonrosen, D., 1995. "Minimal Moments and Cumulants of Symmetric Matrices: An Application to the Wishart Distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 149-164, November.
- Zografos, K. & Nadarajah, S., 2005. "Expressions for Rényi and Shannon entropies for multivariate distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 71-84, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.