Canonical kernels for density estimation
AbstractThe kernel function in density estimation is uniquely determined up to a scale factor. In this paper, we advocate one particular rescaling of a kernel function, called the canonical kernel, because it is the only version which uncouples the problems of choice of kernel and choice of scale factor. This approach is useful for both pictorial comparison of kernel density estimators and for optimal kernel theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 7 (1988)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Grith & Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Melanie Schienle, 2010. "Nonparametric Estimation of Risk-Neutral Densities," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-021, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen Pollard, 2006. "Distribution dynamics and convergence in Latin America: A non-parametric analysis," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 68-95, March.
- Delaigle, Aurore & Hall, Peter, 2006. "On optimal kernel choice for deconvolution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(15), pages 1594-1602, September.
- M. M. Salinas-Jimenez, 2003. "Technological change, efficiency gains and capital accumulation in labour productivity growth and convergence: an application to the Spanish regions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(17), pages 1839-1851.
- Hu, Shuowen & Poskitt, D.S. & Zhang, Xibin, 2012.
"Bayesian adaptive bandwidth kernel density estimation of irregular multivariate distributions,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 732-740.
- Shuowen Hu & D.S. Poskitt & Xibin Zhang, 2010. "Bayesian Adaptive Bandwidth Kernel Density Estimation of Irregular Multivariate Distributions," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 21/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Fousekis, Panos & Lazaridis, Panagiotis, 2001. "Food Expenditure Patterns of the Urban and the Rural Households in Greece. A Kernel Regression Analysis," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 2(1), January.
- Paul Deheuvels & David Mason, 2004. "General Asymptotic Confidence Bands Based on Kernel-type Function Estimators," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 225-277, October.
- Ezcurra, Roberto, 2007. "Distribution dynamics of energy intensities: A cross-country analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 5254-5259, October.
- Camelia Minoiu & Sanjay Reddy, 2008. "Kernel Density Estimation Based on Grouped Data: The Case of Poverty Assessment," IMF Working Papers 08/183, International Monetary Fund.
- Härdle, Wolfgang & Müller, Marlene, 1997. "Multivariate and semiparametric kernel regression," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,26, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Nils-Bastian Heidenreich & Anja Schindler & Stefan Sperlich, 2013. "Bandwidth selection for kernel density estimation: a review of fully automatic selectors," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 97(4), pages 403-433, October.
- Gao, H. Oliver & Johnson, Lynn Schooley, 2009. "Methods of analysis for vehicle soak time data," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(8), pages 744-754, October.
- Ezcurra, Roberto, 2007. "Is there cross-country convergence in carbon dioxide emissions?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1363-1372, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.