On the tail behaviors of Box-Cox transformed threshold GARCH(1,1) process
AbstractThis paper considers some structural properties of Box-Cox transformed threshold GARCH(1,1) process. First, a sufficient and necessary condition for the strict stationarity of this threshold GARCH process is given. Second, some simple conditions for the existence of the moments of the threshold GARCH process are also derived. Finally, we describe the tail of the marginal distribution of the threshold GARCH process. It gives a precise meaning to the statement "light-tailed input causes heavy-tailed output".
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 76 (2006)
Issue (Month): 13 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hwang, S. Y. & Woo, Mi-Ja, 2001. "Threshold ARCH(1) processes: asymptotic inference," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 11-20, May.
- Basrak, Bojan & Davis, Richard A. & Mikosch, Thomas, 2002. "Regular variation of GARCH processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 95-115, May.
- de Haan, Laurens & Resnick, Sidney I. & Rootzén, Holger & de Vries, Casper G., 1989. "Extremal behaviour of solutions to a stochastic difference equation with applications to arch processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 213-224, August.
- Hwang, S. Y. & Basawa, I. V., 2004. "Stationarity and moment structure for Box-Cox transformed threshold GARCH(1,1) processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 209-220, July.
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Liu, Ji-Chun, 2007. "Stationarity for a Markov-switching Box-Cox transformed threshold GARCH process," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(13), pages 1428-1438, July.
- Park, J.A. & Baek, J.S. & Hwang, S.Y., 2009. "Persistent-threshold-GARCH processes: Model and application," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(7), pages 907-914, April.
- Haas, Markus, 2009. "Persistence in volatility, conditional kurtosis, and the Taylor property in absolute value GARCH processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(15), pages 1674-1683, August.
- Haas, Markus, 2008. "The autocorrelation structure of the Markov-switching asymmetric power GARCH process," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(12), pages 1480-1489, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.