Likelihood ratio tests of the number of components in a normal mixture with unequal variances
AbstractDetermining the number of components in a mixture distribution is of interest to researchers in many areas. In this paper, we investigate the statistical properties of a likelihood ratio test proposed by Lo et al. (Biometrika 88 (2001) 767) for determining the number of components in a normal mixture with unequal variances. We discuss the dependence of the rate of convergence of the likelihood ratio statistic to its limiting distribution on the choice of restrictions imposed on the component variances to deal with the problem of unboundedness of the likelihood. We compare the test procedure to the parametric bootstrap method and posterior predictive checks, a Bayesian model checking procedure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 71 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Phillips, Robert F., 1991. "A constrained maximum-likelihood approach to estimating switching regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1-2), pages 241-262.
- Hanfeng Chen & Jiahua Chen & John D. Kalbfleisch, 2001. "A modified likelihood ratio test for homogeneity in finite mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(1), pages 19-29.
- L. Wasserman, 2000. "Asymptotic inference for mixture models by using data-dependent priors," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(1), pages 159-180.
- Lo, Yungtai, 2011. "Bias from misspecification of the component variances in a normal mixture," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 2739-2747, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.