Estimation of a parameter vector restricted to a cone
AbstractWe study estimation of a location vector restricted to a convex cone when the dimension, p, is at least 3. We find estimators which improve on the "usual" estimator (the MLE in the normal case) in the general case of a spherically symmetric distribution with unknown scale. The improved estimators may be viewed as Stein-type shrinkage estimators on the set where the usual unbiased estimator (in the unrestricted case) satisfies the restriction. The improved procedures have the extremely strong property of improving on the "usual" estimator uniformly and simultaneously for all spherically symmetric distributions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 56 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fourdrinier, Dominique & Strawderman, William E., 1996. "A Paradox Concerning Shrinkage Estimators: Should a Known Scale Parameter Be Replaced by an Estimated Value in the Shrinkage Factor?," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 109-140, November.
- Cellier, D. & Fourdrinier, D., 1995. "Shrinkage Estimators under Spherical Symmetry for the General Linear Model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 338-351, February.
- Amirdjanova, Anna & Woodroofe, Michael, 2004. "Shrinkage estimation for convex polyhedral cones," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 87-94, October.
- Hisayuki Tsukuma, 2012. "Simultaneous estimation of restricted location parameters based on permutation and sign-change," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 53(4), pages 915-934, November.
- Dominique Fourdrinier & William Strawderman & Martin Wells, 2006. "Estimation of a Location Parameter with Restrictions or “vague information” for Spherically Symmetric Distributions," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 73-92, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.