Estimation of a parameter vector restricted to a cone
AbstractWe study estimation of a location vector restricted to a convex cone when the dimension, p, is at least 3. We find estimators which improve on the "usual" estimator (the MLE in the normal case) in the general case of a spherically symmetric distribution with unknown scale. The improved estimators may be viewed as Stein-type shrinkage estimators on the set where the usual unbiased estimator (in the unrestricted case) satisfies the restriction. The improved procedures have the extremely strong property of improving on the "usual" estimator uniformly and simultaneously for all spherically symmetric distributions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 56 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cellier, D. & Fourdrinier, D., 1995. "Shrinkage Estimators under Spherical Symmetry for the General Linear Model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 338-351, February.
- Fourdrinier, Dominique & Strawderman, William E., 1996. "A Paradox Concerning Shrinkage Estimators: Should a Known Scale Parameter Be Replaced by an Estimated Value in the Shrinkage Factor?," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 109-140, November.
- Amirdjanova, Anna & Woodroofe, Michael, 2004. "Shrinkage estimation for convex polyhedral cones," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 87-94, October.
- Dominique Fourdrinier & William Strawderman & Martin Wells, 2006. "Estimation of a Location Parameter with Restrictions or “vague information” for Spherically Symmetric Distributions," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 73-92, March.
- Hisayuki Tsukuma, 2012. "Simultaneous estimation of restricted location parameters based on permutation and sign-change," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 53(4), pages 915-934, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.