The law of large numbers with exceptional sets
AbstractWe investigate the law of large numbers with exceptional n-sets, i.e. when the theorem is required to hold only for almost all n, in the sense of a suitable measure on the integers. We prove the surprising result that in the presence of such exceptional sets, the weak and strong laws of large numbers become equivalent. We also give necessary and sufficient criteria for the validity of such laws.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 55 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ibragimov, Ildar & Lifshits, Mikhail, 1998. "On the convergence of generalized moments in almost sure central limit theorem," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 343-351, November.
- Berkes, István & Csáki, Endre, 2001. "A universal result in almost sure central limit theory," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 105-134, July.
- Fahrner, I. & Stadtmüller, U., 1998. "On almost sure max-limit theorems," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 229-236, March.
- Marcus, Michael B. & Rosen, Jay, 1995. "Logarithmic averages for the local times of recurrent random walks and Lévy processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 175-184, October.
- Horvath, Lajos & Khoshnevisan, Davar, 1995. "Weight functions and pathwise local central limit theorems," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 105-123, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.