A generalization of variance bounds
AbstractUpper and lower bounds for the variance of a random variable are obtained in terms of the density-quantile function. Some applications of these bounds to order statistics are given
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 28 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cacoullos, T. & Papathanasiou, V., 1985. "On upper bounds for the variance of functions of random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 175-184, July.
- Arnold, Barry C. & Brockett, Patrick L., 1988. "Variance bounds using a theorem of Polya," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 321-326, April.
- Cacoullos, T. & Papathanasiou, V., 1989. "Characterizations of distributions by variance bounds," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 351-356, April.
- Papathanasiou, V., 1990. "Some characterizations of distributions based on order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 145-147, February.
- Balakrishnan, N. & Cramer, E. & Kamps, U., 2001. "Bounds for means and variances of progressive type II censored order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 301-315, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.