New properties and characterizations of the dispersive ordering
AbstractNew characterizations of the dispersive ordering are established. These include a characterization in terms of the stochastic ordering of the sample spacings, preservation of the ordering by monotone convex (concave) transformations, and preservation of the ordering by truncation at the same quantile. The question of when the sample spacings inherit the dispersive ordering is investigated and, for the important special case of F or G being the exponential distribution, it is shown that F and G are ordered in dispersion if and only if the sample spacings also have the same order.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 11 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ayala, Guillermo & López-Díaz, Miguel, 2009. "The simplex dispersion ordering and its application to the evaluation of human corneal endothelia," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(7), pages 1447-1464, August.
- López-Díaz, Miguel, 2006. "An indexed multivariate dispersion ordering based on the Hausdorff distance," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(7), pages 1623-1637, August.
- Fang, Longxiang & Zhang, Xinsheng, 2013. "Stochastic comparisons of series systems with heterogeneous Weibull components," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(7), pages 1649-1653.
- Sordo, Miguel A. & Suárez-Llorens, Alfonso, 2011. "Stochastic comparisons of distorted variability measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 11-17, July.
- Carlos Carleos & Miguel López-Díaz, 2010. "A new family of dispersive orderings," Metrika, Springer, vol. 71(2), pages 203-217, March.
- Fernández-Ponce, J.M. & Rodríguez-Griñolo, R., 2006. "Preserving multivariate dispersion: An application to the Wishart distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1208-1220, May.
- Jongwoo Jeon & Subhash Kochar & Chul Park, 2006. "Dispersive ordering—Some applications and examples," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 227-247, March.
- Rolf Aaberge & Steinar Bjerve & Kjell Doksum, 2005. "Modeling Concentration and Dispersion in Multiple Regression," Discussion Papers 412, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Ebrahimi, Nader & Kirmani, S. N. U. A., 1996. "Some results on ordering of survival functions through uncertainty," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 167-176, August.
- Giovagnoli, Alessandra & Wynn, H. P., 1995. "Multivariate dispersion orderings," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 325-332, March.
- Sordo, Miguel A., 2009. "Comparing tail variabilities of risks by means of the excess wealth order," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 466-469, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.