The Role of the Board in Building Strategic Capability: Towards an Integrated Model of Sport Governance Research
AbstractGovernance is a critical issue confronting sport organisations. Its importance in the management of sport organisations has been heightened due to the transition of many sports from predominantly volunteer administered organisations anchored in an amateur ethos, to professionally managed entities catering to a more sophisticated sport marketplace. This paper identifies four elements from the sport governance literature as the key research foci to date: shared leadership, board motivation, board roles, and board structure. Four generic themes (performance, conformance, policy and operations) are also examined and expressed as governance capabilities. The strategic role and performance of the board, while central to the practice of governance, is shown to be a weakness in many sport organisations. Further, the strategic role of the board is underdeveloped in the sport management and governance research literature. Finally, it is noted that the governance literature is shaped by a normative and prescriptive approach that may not fully encompass the diversity that
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Sport Management Review.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Papadimitriou, Dimitra & Taylor, Peter, 2000. "Organisational Effectiveness of Hellenic National Sports Organisations: A Multiple Constituency Approach," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 23-46, May.
- Harry J. Sapienza & M. Audrey Korsgaard & Philip K. Goulet & Jeffrey P. Hoogendam, 2000. "Effects of agency risks and procedural justice on board processes in venture capital-backed firms," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 331-351, October.
- Hoye, Russell & Cuskelly, Graham, 2003. "Board-Executive Relationships within Voluntary Sport Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 53-73, May.
- Philip Stiles, 2001. "The Impact of the Board on Strategy: An Empirical Examination," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(5), pages 627-650, 07.
- Shilbury, David, 2000. "Considering Future Sport Delivery Systems," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 199-221, November.
- C. B. Ingley & N. T. Van der Walt, 2001. "The Strategic Board: the changing role of directors in developing and maintaining corporate capability," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 174-185, 07.
- Skinner, James & Stewart, Bob & Edwards, Allan, 1999. "Amateurism to Professionalism: Modelling Organisational Change in Sporting Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 173-192, November.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Nicholas Walt & Coral Ingley, 2003. "Board Dynamics and the Influence of Professional Background, Gender and Ethnic Diversity of Directors," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 218-234, 07.
- Schulz, John & Auld, Christopher, 2006. "Perceptions of Role Ambiguity by Chairpersons and Executive Directors in Queensland Sporting Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 183-201, September.
- A. Balduck & A. Van Rossem & M. Buelens, 2009. "Identifying Competencies Of Volunteer Board Members Of Community Sports Clubs," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/559, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Yeh, Chien Mu & Taylor, Tracy & Hoye, Russell, 2009. "Board roles in organisations with a dual board system: Empirical evidence from Taiwanese nonprofit sport organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 91-100, May.
- Ferkins, Lesley & Shilbury, David, 2010. "Developing board strategic capability in sport organisations: The national-regional governing relationship," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 235-254, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.