Gauss-Newton and M-estimation for ARMA processes with infinite variance
AbstractWe consider two estimation procedures, Gauss-Newton and M-estimation, for the parameters of an ARMA (p,q) process when the innovations belong to the domain of attraction of a nonnormal stable distribution. The Gauss-Newton or iterative least squares estimate is shown to have the same limiting distribution as the maximum likelihood and Whittle estimates. The latter was derived recently by Mikosch et al. (1995). We also establish the weak convergence for a class of M-estimates, including the case of least absolute deviation, and show that, asymptotically, the M-estimate dominates both the Gauss-Newton and Whittle estimates. A brief simulation is carried out comparing the performance of M-estimation with iterative and ordinary least squares. As suggested by the asymptotic theory, M-estimation, using least absolute deviation for the loss function, outperforms the other two procedures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 63 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klüppelberg, Claudia & Mikosch, Thomas, 1993. "Spectral estimates and stable processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 323-344, September.
- Davis, Richard A. & Knight, Keith & Liu, Jian, 1992. "M-estimation for autoregressions with infinite variance," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 145-180, February.
- Li, Jinyu & Liang, Wei & He, Shuyuan, 2011. "Empirical likelihood for LAD estimators in infinite variance ARMA models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 212-219, February.
- SBRANA, Giacomo & SILVESTRINI, Andrea, 2010.
"Aggregation of exponential smoothing processes with an application to portfolio risk evaluation,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2010039, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sbrana, Giacomo & Silvestrini, Andrea, 2013. "Aggregation of exponential smoothing processes with an application to portfolio risk evaluation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1437-1450.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.