U-processes, U-quantile processes and generalized linear statistics of dependent data
AbstractGeneralized linear statistics are a unifying class that contains U-statistics, U-quantiles, L-statistics as well as trimmed and Winsorized U-statistics. For example, many commonly used estimators of scale fall into this class. GL-statistics have only been studied under independence; in this paper, we develop an asymptotic theory for GL-statistics of sequences which are strongly mixing or L1 near epoch dependent on an absolutely regular process. For this purpose, we prove an almost sure approximation of the empiricalU-process by a Gaussian process. With the help of a generalized Bahadur representation, it follows that such a strong invariance principle also holds for the empirical U-quantile process and consequently for GL-statistics. We obtain central limit theorems and laws of the iterated logarithm for U-processes, U-quantile processes and GL-statistics as straightforward corollaries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 122 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1991. "GARCH(1, 1) processes are near epoch dependent," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 181-186, June.
- Arcones, M. A., 1993. "The Law of the Iterated Logarithm for U-Processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 139-151, October.
- Arcones, Miguel A. & Giné, Evarist, 1995. "On the law of the iterated logarithm for canonical U-statistics and processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 217-245, August.
- Wendler, Martin, 2011. "Bahadur representation for U-quantiles of dependent data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(6), pages 1064-1079, July.
- Babu, Gutti Jogesh & Singh, Kesar, 1978. "On deviations between empirical and quantile processes for mixing random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 532-549, December.
- Dehling, Herold & Wendler, Martin, 2010. "Central limit theorem and the bootstrap for U-statistics of strongly mixing data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 126-137, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.