Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation in GARCH processes when some coefficients are equal to zero
AbstractThe asymptotic distribution of the quasi-maximum likelihood (QML) estimator is established for generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedastic (GARCH) processes, when the true parameter may have zero coefficients. This asymptotic distribution is the projection of a normal vector distribution onto a convex cone. The results are derived under mild conditions. For an important subclass of models, no moment condition is imposed on the GARCH process. The main practical implication of these results concerns the estimation of overidentified GARCH models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 117 (2007)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, W K & Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. " Recent Theoretical Results for Time Series Models with GARCH Errors," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 245-69, July.
- Nelson, Daniel B & Cao, Charles Q, 1992. "Inequality Constraints in the Univariate GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(2), pages 229-35, April.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Hall, Peter & Yao, Qiwei, 2003. "Inference in ARCH and GARCH models with heavy-tailed errors," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Berkes, István & Horváth, Lajos, 2003. "The rate of consistency of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 133-143, January.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008.
"Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-30, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," Economics Series Working Papers 396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2008.
"Testing the Nullity of GARCH Coefficients : Correction of the Standard Tests and Relative Efficiency Comparisons,"
2008-04, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Francq, Christian & ZakoÃ¯an, Jean-Michel, 2009. "Testing the Nullity of GARCH Coefficients: Correction of the Standard Tests and Relative Efficiency Comparisons," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 313-324.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2008. "Testing the nullity of GARCH coefficients : correction of the standard tests and relative efficiency comparisons," MPRA Paper 16672, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Han, Heejoon & Park, Joon Y., 2012. "ARCH/GARCH with persistent covariate: Asymptotic theory of MLE," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 95-112.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.