Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation in GARCH processes when some coefficients are equal to zero
AbstractThe asymptotic distribution of the quasi-maximum likelihood (QML) estimator is established for generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedastic (GARCH) processes, when the true parameter may have zero coefficients. This asymptotic distribution is the projection of a normal vector distribution onto a convex cone. The results are derived under mild conditions. For an important subclass of models, no moment condition is imposed on the GARCH process. The main practical implication of these results concerns the estimation of overidentified GARCH models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 117 (2007)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Hall & Qiwei Yao, 2003. "Inference in Arch and Garch Models with Heavy--Tailed Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 285-317, January.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Nelson, Daniel B & Cao, Charles Q, 1992. "Inequality Constraints in the Univariate GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(2), pages 229-35, April.
- Berkes, István & Horváth, Lajos, 2003. "The rate of consistency of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 133-143, January.
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Li, W K & Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. " Recent Theoretical Results for Time Series Models with GARCH Errors," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 245-69, July.
- Luger, Richard, 2012. "Finite-sample bootstrap inference in GARCH models with heavy-tailed innovations," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3198-3211.
- Francq, Christian & ZakoÃ¯an, Jean-Michel, 2009.
"Testing the Nullity of GARCH Coefficients: Correction of the Standard Tests and Relative Efficiency Comparisons,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 313-324.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2008. "Testing the Nullity of GARCH Coefficients : Correction of the Standard Tests and Relative Efficiency Comparisons," Working Papers 2008-04, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2008. "Testing the nullity of GARCH coefficients : correction of the standard tests and relative efficiency comparisons," MPRA Paper 16672, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008.
"Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-30, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Han, Heejoon & Park, Joon Y., 2012. "ARCH/GARCH with persistent covariate: Asymptotic theory of MLE," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 95-112.
- Abdelhakim Aknouche, 2012. "Multistage weighted least squares estimation of ARCH processes in the stable and unstable cases," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 241-256, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.