Horizon-unbiased utility functions
AbstractIn this paper we consider a class of mixed optimal control/optimal stopping problems related to the choice of the best time to sell a single unit of an indivisible asset. We assume that in addition to the indivisible asset, the agent has access to a financial market. Investments in the financial market can be used for hedging, but the financial assets are only partially correlated with the indivisible asset, so that the agent faces an incomplete markets problem. We show how, even in the infinite horizon case, it is possible to express the problem as a maximisation problem with respect to an inter-temporal utility function evaluated at the sale time, but that this objective function must satisfy consistency conditions over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 117 (2007)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vicky Henderson, 2002. "Valuation Of Claims On Nontraded Assets Using Utility Maximization," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 351-373.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- A. Oberman & T. Zariphopoulou, 2003. "Pricing early exercise contracts in incomplete markets," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 75-107, December.
- Henderson, Vicky & Hobson, David G., 2002. "Real options with constant relative risk aversion," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 329-355, December.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hugonnier, Julien & Morellec, Erwan, 2007. "Corporate control and real investment in incomplete markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1781-1800, May.
- Ioannis Karatzas & (*), S. G. Kou, 1998. "Hedging American contingent claims with constrained portfolios," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 215-258.
- Sigrid Kallblad & Jan Obloj & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 2013. "Time--consistent investment under model uncertainty: the robust forward criteria," Papers 1311.3529, arXiv.org.
- Tahir Choulli & Junfeng Ma, 2013. "Explicit Description of HARA Forward Utilities and Their Optimal Portfolios," Papers 1307.0785, arXiv.org.
- Michail Anthropelos, 2011. "Forward Exponential Performances: Pricing and Optimal Risk Sharing," Papers 1109.3908, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2013.
- Henderson, Vicky, 2010. "Is corporate control effective when managers face investment timing decisions in incomplete markets?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1062-1076, June.
- Grasselli, Matheus & Henderson, Vicky, 2009. "Risk aversion and block exercise of executive stock options," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 109-127, January.
- Timothy C. Johnson, 2013. "Reciprocity as the foundation of Financial Economics," Papers 1310.2798, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.