On the optimal stopping problem for one-dimensional diffusions
AbstractA new characterization of excessive functions for arbitrary one-dimensional regular diffusion processes is provided, using the notion of concavity. It is shown that excessivity is equivalent to concavity in some suitable generalized sense. This permits a characterization of the value function of the optimal stopping problem as "the smallest nonnegative concave majorant of the reward function" and allows us to generalize results of Dynkin and Yushkevich for standard Brownian motion. Moreover, we show how to reduce the discounted optimal stopping problems for an arbitrary diffusion process to an undiscounted optimal stopping problem for standard Brownian motion. The concavity of the value functions also leads to conclusions about their smoothness, thanks to the properties of concave functions. One is thus led to a new perspective and new facts about the principle of smooth-fit in the context of optimal stopping. The results are illustrated in detail on a number of non-trivial, concrete optimal stopping problems, both old and new.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 107 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1995. "American Capped Call Options on Dividend-Paying Assets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(1), pages 161-91.
- Bank, Peter & El Karoui, Nicole, 2001. "A stochastic representation theorem with applications to optimization and obstacle problems," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,4, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Karatzas, Ioannis & Ocone, Daniel, 2002. "A leavable bounded-velocity stochastic control problem," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 31-51, May.
- Jean-Paul Décamps & Stéphane Villeneuve, 2007.
"Optimal dividend policy and growth option,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 3-27, January.
- Egami, Masahiko & Young, Virginia R., 2009. "Optimal reinsurance strategy under fixed cost and delay," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 1015-1034, March.
- Jukka Lempa, 2006. "On Infinite Horizon Optimal Stopping of General Random Walk," Discussion Papers 3, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Egami, Masahiko, 2010. "A game options approach to the investment problem with convertible debt financing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1456-1470, August.
- Jérôme Detemple & Weidong Tian & Jie Xiong, 2012. "An optimal stopping problem with a reward constraint," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 423-448, July.
- Egami, Masahiko, 2009. "A framework for the study of expansion options, loan commitments and agency costs," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 345-357, June.
- Kavtaradze, T. & Lazrieva, N. & Mania, M. & Muliere, P., 2007. "A Bayesian-martingale approach to the general disorder problem," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(8), pages 1093-1120, August.
- Jukka Lempa, 2008. "The Optimal Stopping Problem of Dupuis and Wang: A Generalization," Discussion Papers 36, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Masahiko Egami, 2007. "A Unified Treatment of Dividend Payment Problems under Fixed Cost and Implementation Delays," Papers math/0703825, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2009.
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Egami, Masahiko, 2007.
"The effects of implementation delay on decision-making under uncertainty,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 333-358, March.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Masahiko Egami, 2007. "The Effects of Implementation Delay on Decision-Making Under Uncertainty," Papers math/0703833, arXiv.org.
- Shackleton, Mark B. & Sødal, Sigbjørn, 2010. "Harvesting and recovery decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2533-2546, December.
- Abel Cadenillas & Robert Elliott & Hong Miao & Zhenyu Wu, 2009. "Risk-Hedging in Real Estate Markets," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 265-285, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.